Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I drink cask ales, hand pumped ales 99% of the time when I'm out.

Called into a local pub yesterday and ordered a pint of Greene King IPA. The lady serving me said "I'm rubbish at pulling hand pump beer"

She was not quite correct, she was sheite.

It took her about four attempts to top up my drink before it came close to a pint.

Today at another local I had the same issues with a pint of Speckled Hen. I told the young girl to loosen the sparkler, "can you do that?" FFS.

Why do they have the sparklers so tight? I know it gives a creamier head on the beer, but please slacken them off a bit so I can get a full pint and in a timely manner, oh and a clean dry glass that doesn't drip all the way to my seat.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Quality rantage. The act of buying a pint of proper beer should be a joyous experience but it doesn't take a huge amount to turn it into a nightmare.

It's funny how times change. I recall going in a pub somewhere on the banks of the Thames in that Lon-don probably 25 years ago with a colleague who caused an almighty fuss by telling the barmaids and the manager that the reason their beer was flat and lifeless was that there was a bit missing off their pumps. He even pointed to the "bit" that was sat on the shelf behind the bar. None of them (or their other customers presumably) had any idea of the sparkler or its purpose.

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
I like real ale and have drunk it regularly over the last 37 years but never heard of sparklers (except as Nev said -firework context) until now.
This is no doubt just my ignorance of beer other than being good at drinking it..... but could it also be because London beers (Youngs, Fullers, Courage etc) tend to have less of a head and be less 'fizzy' than Northern beers? Am I wrong that the creamy head on beer is more of a Northern thing (apart from porter or stout)?

(I remember those tins of Boddingtons or Sam Smith's with widgets in, so masses of foaming gunk would spew out of a tin of when opened - YUK :tut: I like my beer with minimal head or fizz :yes:)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Am I wrong that the creamy head on beer is more of a Northern thing (apart from porter or stout)?
You are correct. A pint without a creamy persistent head of foam would clear the pub in some parts of Yorkshire.

And while we are at it, have you noticed that bar staff no longer seem able to do the arithmetic in their head?
Me: Two pints of bitter, a large whisky and a G&T, please"
[ gets served ]
Bar person retreats to till to add up the cost.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
(I remember those tins of Boddingtons or Sam Smith's with widgets in, so masses of foaming gunk would spew out of a tin of when opened - YUK :tut: I like my beer with minimal head or fizz :yes:)
John Smiths had the widgets, brewed in the same town as the family firm Sam Smiths, Tadcaster:thumbup:

Another issue, I drink John Smiths smooth flow in my local. The young student bar staff can't be ar$ed to hold the glass at all, nevermind at an angle and let the beer gently flow into the glass, no, they put the glass on the drip tray and let the beer foam into the glass. So we have the effect I first mentioned, a foaming mess that needs four attempts at topping up:cry:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ask 'em for a shaving brush to go with it :rolleyes:
Or a Flake?
I sometimes offer less than the asking price and when they look at me dumbfounded I say
"that's the price I'm willing to pay for a partial pint"

I then get roll eyes from the missus, a befuddled look on the face of the server and a lecture on how juvenile I am all the way to our seat:vs_lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I sometimes offer less than the asking price and when they look at me dumbfounded I say
"that's the price I'm willing to pay for a partial pint"

I then get roll eyes from the missus, a befuddled look on the face of the server and a lecture on how juvenile I am all the way to our seat:vs_lol:
I used to be too embarrassed but now I'll nod at it and if they don't get the message just ask if they'd mind taking it up to the mark.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's my usual tack, but I do like to inject a little sarcasm every so often:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts