Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around at used cars, as I fancy a change soon.

These are the requirements.

Must be 4 doors (saloon or hatch ok)
Must be decent to drive
Not unreasonably economical (25mpg or better)
Must be fairly quick
Budget upto £2500
Not a Vauxhall

The trouble is I am struggling to find something that tickles my fancy. I would like another Alfa, but most of the ones in my price range are getting to the age where they require TLC, and I haven't got time to do it.

The other thing is my current ride fits the bill quite well. The only thing is, I wouldn't call it a drivers car, and it is at an advanced age, although I don't think it will go wrong anytime soon.

Any other car suggestions folks?

I have looked at Seat Leon Cupras, but only the first of them (which look a bit naff) and the facelifted ones with Mega mileages are within budget.

Plus I am not sure they will drive as well as the BMW.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
focus st170?

dunno what they're going for these days but i'd have thought £2500 would bag you one. 5-door ones are very rare though, almost as rare as the estates

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Focus ST is an option.

There is a bloke at work with a 3 door one, and I can see him winding me up though if I got one, because when he bought it I wound him up that he should have bought a Renaultsport Clio.

I like BMW 330 saloons (Petrol and Diesel) but they are as common as muck and the styling does nothing for me (Although I like the Coupe version)
The ones in my Price range are also mostly leggy sheds.

Other cars I have looked at.

VW Bora V5, nice engine note, soft suspension and bland looks.
Seat Toledo V5. As above.
Skoda Octavia RS. Looks too much like a Rover 800

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had a look at 5 door ST170's

There are a few around, but they seem to be around 3k upwards, and I am not sure I like the styling of them compared to the 3 door.

I suppose a Golf GTi might be an option, or I have seen some Alfa 147 JTD 16V's for 2.5k

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i quite like the octavia - a car well suited to the reality of today. focus st's are very tempting but aren't they horribly thirsty ie. 22 ish mpg? the st170 should get you around 30. don't think the ST's came in 5-door guise, or did they? what about some of the saabs out there?

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i quite like the octavia - a car well suited to the reality of today. focus st's are very tempting but aren't they horribly thirsty ie. 22 ish mpg? the st170 should get you around 30. don't think the ST's came in 5-door guise, or did they? what about some of the saabs out there?
There are 5 door ST170's about alright.

I don't mind Saabs, but I know some of them were a bit ropey since GM took them over.

A Vauxhall vectra floorpan is never a good starting point for any car. :(

I suppose a 2.5 V6 Mondeo might do the trick, 3.0 Jag X types are getting cheap too.

Not sure about how good they are as drivers cars though.

I Might have another Puma, or a 145 Cloverleaf if I could make do with 3 doors.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Curious as to why you have such a downer on Vauxhalls. I've had a Vectra 1.9cdti for 3 years and it does everything I ask of it with no hassle at all. Common as muck is the main problem but I don't have it for show :)

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
primera gt?
You could do a lot worse, they are pretty much bulletproof, they drive fantastic and they're not bad on fuel. Interior is gash though unless you get the full leather, and they do look like they've got stupidly small wheels fitted these days.

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious as to why you have such a downer on Vauxhalls. I've had a Vectra 1.9cdti for 3 years and it does everything I ask of it with no hassle at all. Common as muck is the main problem but I don't have it for show :)
Never liked them really. My dad has had a couple and had nothing but trouble, plus the ones I have driven have been very boring.

The last one I liked was the GSi 3000 Carlton.

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
primera gt?
You could do a lot worse, they are pretty much bulletproof, they drive fantastic and they're not bad on fuel. Interior is gash though unless you get the full leather, and they do look like they've got stupidly small wheels fitted these days.
Primera GT could be an option, I will look into them.

Mazda 6 mps?
I also need to look into those as I don't know much about them.

Volvo s60 T5.

Good call, definitely worth investigating.

Also possibilities

Subaru Impreza Turbo (not 100% keen on the styling or interior though)
Honda Accord Type R
Mondeo ST220 (if they are cheap enough)

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
ST220 use a LOT of fuel. One of our techs had one about a year ago and it barely did more than 20mpg.. For a new-ish car the engine technology is not very advanced, they still use a cable throttle etc.

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ST220 use a LOT of fuel. One of our techs had one about a year ago and it barely did more than 20mpg.. For a new-ish car the engine technology is not very advanced, they still use a cable throttle etc.
Maybe I will give those a miss then. To be honest I wasn't keen on the styling much anyway.

I like Cable Throttles by the way ;)

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
I like cable throttles when I have six of them :)

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are easy to fix as well.

When you have had a GTV that keeps having its electronic throttle play up you soon get fed up with them.

·
Registered
37,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very rare and over double his budget, mazda6 2.3 sport is solid and well within budget though
I don't mind the look of those. The trouble is the 2.3 is quite a big car and only 164 BHP, so it isn't going to be very quick.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts