Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, for those of you who know me, well actually for anyone interested I guess lol. Ive not been online due to fallouts with Virgin and Sky. 3 months with no Internet has not been alot of fun. Told virgin where to go because their television was constantly experiencing problems and the 10mb broadband was unstable and continuously disconnecting. Went to sky who installed the TV package, inc dish and hd box within 5 days, however the new bt phone line took 4 weeks to be installed and another week for sky's computer systems to accept our phone line was active even after we had been phoning them off it every day.

We were then told there were error's showing in our area and these would took time to resolve, they were but then we were told there was an error just on our line which would not allow the system to order our broadband. This was then passed to the IT team and we were assured 5 days max. After phoning everyday, sometimes twice a day since then, being transferred to god knows how many departments and being given different information every step of the way we were then told 2 weeks ago that the mid package we ordered in march was now sold out and no longer available so we would therefore have to accept the next package of £17. Complaint after complaint and no luck until I rang yet again one morning and got a girl called Ida. She looks through our notes on the system and says " I think I know what your problem is, give me 2 minutes ill be back”. Less then 2 minutes later she says ive seen my manager and we have sorted your problem just like that after god knows how many people could not including the technical team. She then reduces the £17 package down to the £5 we had originally ordered and everything goes through fine. Got my router through the post, my activation letter and the Internet was switched on yesterday as promised. Woohoo im back online.

However this has to be the worst, most unstable and slowest connection ive ever seen. The latency is through the roof. Ive got download speeds of 1.8 mbps and upload of 0.37 mbps. What a load of S****e.

3 months of waiting to get this cack. At least through all their problems virgin cable provided 9.80 mbps on a 10mb connection so may now after everything that’s happened have to go grovelling to virgin :-(

Myself and the boy play online games but with a ping of 400-800 that’s aint gonna happen, and I can make a coffee while waiting for 1 Internet page to load.

Bloody Plymouth! I think the 240,000 population are stealing my download speed and clogging up the network.

Ok my rant done. That is why I haven’t been able to get on the Alfa forum for so long, while im looking for so much information and some replacement parts this is not good.

For anyone on msn messenger breaking any Alfa 156's my email addy is: [email protected]

Anyone had any similar experiences and wanna help me run over ever last manager of sky Lmao.

Jase

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
However this has to be the worst, most unstable and slowest connection ive ever seen. The latency is through the roof. Ive got download speeds of 1.8 mbps and upload of 0.37 mbps. What a load of S****e.

Jase
I'm only dreaming about 1.8 Mbps, currently running at about 900Kbps after " enjoying " speeds of about 1950Kbps for the last six months on my 10Mbps BT package. Did speak to Mumbai yesterday and my feelings about the help " received " are not suitable to post here, I'd be banned. If if the thing doesn't pick up by next week I will be 'phoning the BT CEO's office to vent my spleen. I know that there is a limitation on speed in this area due to the old copper string still in use but I'd be happy with anything approaching 2Mbps, I'd settle for your current speed very happily ! I'm pretty sure there is a fault on my line as I seem to have problems after heavy rain but can I get them to do anything about it - of course not. :rant:

So, sorry, can't help, just wanted to share your rant !

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it seems i was getting ahead of myself. Since posting this i have been doing more speed tests at different times of day and now i cant get at any time more then 0.1 mbps (100kb) download and 0.3 (300kb) upload.

Not too impressed at the monthly cost. Really its not even a usabe connection :-(

Jase

·
Banned
1,823 Posts
Another satisfied Sky customer!:thumbs:

Hope you can get it sorted fella. If you are on Connect which it sounds as though you are, Sky actually can't do anything about your broadband connection as it is controlled by BT. You are about to find out how incrediblely awful customer service can be as you talk to a plank who then talks to a BT plank who then passes on information at a later date to another Sky plank. By the time you ring up again to resolve this issue you will be met with Planks with blanks as no one will know anything about your situation.

James - Ex-Sky staff -current Connect customer with less than half a meg connection and no working phones due to a BT engineer screwing about with my line under the direction of Sky yet no one is willing to take responsibility.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have been on NTL/Virgin for years and TBH have never had a single issue, and any ones that did crop up were resolved OK if not particularly quickly. TV system is much better now with the new set top boxes so the old pixellation/freezing non existant EPG/interactive are generally a thing of the past now.
In short - I can't really fault them, where a couple of my mates who have migrated over to Sky only to find things worse than before

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Another Happy Sky Customer I see !!!!!!......:rolleyes:

This is typical of stories I hear a LOT from people with Sky, they must have the worst Customer Services on earth.......:eek:

Good Luck ( and patience ) sorting everything out.......:thumbs:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided to cancel with sky as they clearly are not going to be providing the service promised. This could be fun. Time to dig out the correct terminology lol.

Jase

·
Registered
368 Posts
Must admit, I've just returned to Virgin from Sky. No issues with the tv service, other than the fact that Virgin's box has an extra tuner, but all my problems were with BT (whose line you have to have for Sky etc etc). Being so far from the exchange meant pathetic download and laughable upload speeds. And don't get me started about the "customer care"!! I've now got free anytime calls (had free weekend only from BT), 10 times faster broadband than BT and an HD set top box (non-HD with Sky) for a fiver a month cheaper than the Sky/BT package. No brainer really - should have changed ages ago....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think most isp's these days are pretty useless unless you can afford to go with dedicated servers. After all there are around 60 internet providers in this country but the mojority of us can only afford the package deal.

Befor i had virgin cable or sky HD i just used Freeview tv with a sky box for the free 200 channels. This allowed me to spend more cash on my phone and internet,so i had my line rental and 24/7 phone with tiscali and my broadband with a company called Newnet who were the 4th best rated internet provider in the uk, i believe they are still in the top 6. Connection was 100% stable at all times, if you rang them an actual person answered within 30 seconds from the uk. The whole package was faultless and id recommend them to anyone.

Unfortunately i have the whole tv/phone/broadband package so im doomed to frustrating mainstream package companies that will inevatably provide crap service and customer relations departments.

The other main factor to take into account is where we live. I use to live in North devon with a reasonably small population which provided good internet stabilty and speeds where as now i live in Plymouth with a massive population stealing my download and upload speed all the way :-(

Jase

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I chenged from a dedicated ISP to Sky last year with no problems. I'm on the 16Mb service and get very good download speeds. I get the odd droppepd connection but overall for the price it's been pretty good.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well finally resolved the matter, sky have agreed to cancel my HD t.v , phone and broadband with n o cencellation charges as im on 4 months into a 12 month contract. Just re ordered Virgin again with fibre optic broadband to be connected in just over a week, bonus.

Its the only way im going to get a good spped and stable connection where i live.

Hopefully all should be good.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
How I wish to have a fixed broadband connection. With Virgin only operating in areas where profit to be made and BT making do with whatever is in the ground, or on the poles, means I am lucky to get 29.6k dial-up.
AND ALL YOU GUYS MAKE ME SICK WHEN YOU SAY ONLY 1MB, ONLY 1.5MB. I'm off for a cry!:cry::cry::cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts