Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light is on - the unit is a Becker, so I haven't been able to plug it to a computer. What I did is ground the pin 3 as per instructions on this board and what the flashing light tells me is:

5 blinks - driver airbag charge resistanstance out of tolerance
6 blinks - passenger airbag charge resistanstance out of tolerance

Grounding pin 3 for some ten seconds should've erased these as far as I'm aware of, but they stay put. Every time I try, I get 5 and 6 flashes and the airbag light stays on.

I did measure both the driver and passenger airbag tolerance at their respective connectors, the reading is about 3 Ohms which should be the correct value. A suggestion from another thread was to try and clean the connectors, but they're squeaky clean, the airbags look brand new behind the curtain.

Has anyone come across this issue? What else should I try? I'm quite certain the airbags are not faulty, they have never been deployed and there is no crash data on the airbag module. The module itself should also be fine, but maybe it would require a change as a last resort. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, the unit is disconnected from under the backseats - this keeps the light off and guarantees a MOT pass, but on the other hand - "no airbags, we die like men!" which I'm not a big fan of.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The connectors are the favourite bet, I would secure them with a small cable tie to ensure they are not working loose, I would have thought that if your air bag light does not come on with the ignition and then extinguish that would be an MOT fail?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MOT thing depends, I'm not from the UK.

The connectors are secured and firm. I tried clearing the faults with the airbags out of place and connectors in sight. It seems to all be proper at the airbags, the snag is somewhere near or in the module itself.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The MOT thing depends, I'm not from the UK.

The connectors are secured and firm. I tried clearing the faults with the airbags out of place and connectors in sight. It seems to all be proper at the airbags, the snag is somewhere near or in the module itself.
If you can get your hands on a spare air bag ecu it might be worth swapping it over and see if that helps?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd propose that your Becker ECU is no longer viable.

I had one in my 1996 which gave a passenger side (right seat) out of tolerance error. My car did not even have a passenger airbag from the factory. Various attempts to clear the error, swap connections at the ECU etc. were not successful. I even opened the case looking for aged or dead components.

The only way I was able to resolve was to purchase a TRW ECU from a (much) later car and rewire the airbag and pretensioners to add a discrete wire for each attached device instead of the common wire for each pair.

I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input @Welshsteve and @BarbyCar.

Unfortunately, a spare Becker unit will be hard to find and try out, just to rule it out. What I'd have to do is buy it from a breaker, and they're getting pretty rare, which skyrockets the price and if it's not that, I'd probably be pretty ****ed :p

Also, I'm kind of a prude when it comes to parts. Since mine's a '95, there's no way I'd go about putting a TRW unit in there, although by comparison they're dirt cheap. It's either a Becker or no unit at all. I'll try out some more stuff, maybe even come back to this thread with a solution if I find one.

At the end, I'll probably get my hands on a Becker module. Waiting for some TSs to die out, fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts