Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We will see the targa version at Geneva in next few weeks.

Together with the new GQV.

Seems new front bumper, wing mirrors, boot spoiler, badges, exhaust sytem, side skirts.

Another interesting development is that FIAT is developing a AWD TCT box.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I'm loving the targa. Got a real soft spot for them...
As for awd TCT. when i hear awd I just hear +400kg :cry:
Interesting to see what scania has done to give their trucks "semi" awd by the addition of a hydraulic pump system powering the front wheels and the engine powering the rear...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm loving the targa. Got a real soft spot for them...
As for awd TCT. when i hear awd I just hear +400kg :cry:
Interesting to see what scania has done to give their trucks "semi" awd by the addition of a hydraulic pump system powering the front wheels and the engine powering the rear...
Probably weight just as much...

Yamaha made a front hydralic drive system for their WR450F bikes at one stage. I think it was called a 2 Track or something. Only available in some markets.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
The hydraulic system is actually extremely light compared to the awd system they traditionally use. the reason for the switch was so they can save weight=reduced emissions=low fuel consumption

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
hmm surprising, hydraulic wheel motors are not lightweight pieces of kit.

Although if they can save on a propshaft and diff then ya I suppose so.

I suppose they could also improve the turning circle if they wernt using a Solid Front Drive axle too.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Hydraulics are very heavy when you consider that you will require a large enough pump, strong enough drivers/motors and all the piping as well as fluids and fluid coolers as an intense amount of heat will be generated. The biggest issue is getting the motors to turn fast enough to cope with road speeds experienced, unless the vehicle only goes into all wheel drive mode when the going gets tough on rough surfaces. A hydraulic pump designed to provide pressure as well as volume flow rate will be VERY large and heavy.

Hydraulic power is also very inefficient as you have losses when the fluid is pressurised, piping losses and then again losses when the pressure and flow is converted to torque in the wheel motors. You lose huge amounts of power to heat energy in the process. The pump alone can be compared to a supercharger that uses a lot of power just to be driven, as they operate on the same principle. Except for the fact that you have another loss at the drive-end.

Hydraulic systems are in use on EMV's (Earth Moving Vehicles- As used in mining) as they are already large and heavy. But they are slow moving. Hydraulic motors have an immense amount of torque for their size though, and this is why they are usefull in mining situations.

There are therefore better ways of providing high speed drive drive than hydraulics. I would use electric motors if I had the choice. Comparitively light weight, very torquey, very powerful and much, much more efficient (around 98%).

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Geez, that would be the day. don't expect TOO much from...
But yeah the weight incurred by the wheels are much less than the weight of the prop, diff and shafts...
By the way, did you see the "epic splits" by volvo???

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nice looking car.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
4C looks great! Love the colour.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts