Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago the car started making a noise like something was rubbing/catching which was road speed dependant and is there when the car is out of gear and clutch in. At first i thought it was maybe something caught underneath or in the brakes but i've had a good poke around and i can't spot anything. One thing i did notice was that it eases off when you turn right...

I'm i correct in thinking this is probably a wheel bearing? It's much louder than previous experience of a failed wheel bearing and the fact that is starts at quite a low speed where it sounds like a lawnmower makes me a bit worried that's its something else much more serious but hopefully not! It also started suddenly and it's not like it's steadily got worse - just suddenly there.:confused:

I've had a quick search and i noticed ken mentioned the OS shaft support bearing....is this possible? The garage is shut until next wednesday but i could do without a major bill at this time of year!

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Niall, I know it's a long shot but have you squeezed the gaitors just in case,wait for it (electronic engineering squeak;):lol:),it's a dry joint.:cheese:
Worked for Pomeo

Pomeo

·
Registered
641 Posts
Is it a kind of "thrumming" noise?

I get that on my 3.0 sporto. (F/L 2005, 114k miles).

I've had the CV joints replaced and the front wheel bearings.

It still makes the noise. I guess that I'm sensitive to it, a couple of experts have driven it and have not been able to pinpoint the source or have told me that it is normal. I've done 20k miles in the last 15 months, probably 1/2 with it making this noise.

All I can do is keep going until it breaks! At least I'll know what it is then.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's more a rapid knocking/tapping noise....hopefully get it sorted out once the car is back from the bodyshop next friday. Is your noise maybe the bearing on the shaft support?

·
Registered
641 Posts
The CX is cool, but it is a bit broken at the moment. It's a 7 seat Familiale semi-auto. I've had it for 20 years!

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Never saw you in Perth n Kinross Niall, Well worth the 3" of snaw in Pitlochry to miss cyclone cynthia in the centralk belt....Hut has nae felt. But 3 cars are still there and OK.

Pomeo

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's the main thing :D Our neighbours roof is lying in their garden so it was pretty fierce here as well....glad i was off work and could have a lazy day - still waiting on bambino numero 2 on making an appearance :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts