Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a particularly emotional guy - but as a parent, how can you keep a dry eye when you read about this.

A couple who simply couldn't face life with the loss of their 5 year old son, so they take his body and his toys and go together as a family.

Let's hope it's to a better place for them all.

RIP.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I'm not a particularly emotional guy - but as a parent, how can you keep a dry eye when you read about this.

A couple who simply couldn't face life with the loss of their 5 year old son, so they take his body and his toys and go together as a family.

Let's hope it's to a better place for them all.

RIP.

I was watching this article on SKY News this Morning, and thought I had mis-heard if at first, but sadly it was very true, and still hard to believe. Very sad and heartbreaking indeed......

·
Administrator
45,165 Posts
I obviously had not heard the full story, and thought they had jumped with a live child. How did the child die then?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I understand reading the various reports - the 5 year old boy had died earlier on in the weekend after contracting pneumococcal meningitis. When it was clear he could not be saved the couple elected to take him home from hospital to die - and after he died they then put his body and his toys in two rucksacks and drove down to beachy head where they jumped off taking his body with them.

Quite where the emotional support services were in all of this I don't know. According to one report the boy was also handicapped so it may have been the case that they had devoted their lives to his care and hence would have been very high risk cases in terms of reaction.

As I supect this was their only child - I can quite imagine their state of mind. My sister died from pneumococcal meningitis and my parents will freely admit that had it not been for my brother and I they would have considered something similar at that stage given the state of mind that the death of a child puts you into.

I just find the mental picture of this couple, their childs body and his rucksack full of toys on top of that cliff an absolutely shattering concept.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I echo everyone's sentiments here, its a heartbreaking story. Saw a news article earlier & they showed a couple of pictures of the boy, in a wheelchair but beaming he looked a happy little boy. Very, very sad.

J

·
0 Posts
very sad indeed....

I heard the news break a few days ago about this, was not aware of this development until i read this......

that said, if i lost Mia i genuinely do not know how i would cope

V

·
0 Posts
i feel saddened by the little boys loss of life
i feel sorry for what the parents would have to go through

life is full of obstacles challenges and tests, this must be the hardest of all, but suicide is a cowards way out

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I was out for a drive with my wife and little baby this afternoon and they were discussing the case on the Jeremy Vine show, It has stayed with me all day and i find it very upsetting. It is very difficult to imagine how they both must have been feeling and something that i hope i never have to deal with.

Did anyone else hear the Jeremy Vine show? the reason that i ask is that they took a phone call from a bloke who lost his 5 day old son 5 years ago, He spoke in a monotone voice and after all but blaming the hospital for the death of his child he went on to say how he had tried to commit scuicide 3 times and as he is a long distance lorry driver, not enough effort has been made for him to get counceling and then he said somthing along the lines of . when it happened everyone was more concerned about his wife and noone was worried about him and he felt that this was wrong.

Maybe it was because i found the original story so upsetting, and i felt so much for the parents, but i could find very little sympathy for this man who was ringing in with his Me Me Me attitude. I hope ths does not read as heartless, as i am not and the death of a child must be about the worst thing that anyone could possibly experience, but i just think he was being very self indulgent ringing into a radio programme and hijacking the topic in order to have a self indulgent rant.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
people often say suicide is a cowards way out, or its selfish, but this case really had me thinking, anyone who's suffered from any kind of depression will tell you its utterly horrible.. to succumb to suicidal thoughts due to something of this terrible nature is just tragic, their suffering must have been incomprehensible.

R

·
0 Posts
people often say suicide is a cowards way out, or its selfish, but this case really had me thinking, anyone who's suffered from any kind of depression will tell you its utterly horrible.. to succumb to suicidal thoughts due to something of this terrible nature is just tragic, their suffering must have been incomprehensible.
I agree

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I watched this earlier. Such a sad end to a tragic family story:(

S

·
0 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks there really must have been something very wrong in this family before the child's death in order for the impact on the parents to be quite so devastating?

Surely some of the health professionals who, given the child's health needs must have been working closely with the family. ought to have spotted something not quite right?

And even if there were no signs before the death, the child had been dead for several days before the parents committed suicide. Had no one from the hospital been following up on the case? Surely there was an opportunity for intervention here too?

Heart-breaking as it is to lose a child, many parents have, sadly, had to cope with it. But I can't ever recall hearing about such an extreme outcome.

Very, very sad.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
i initially thought thy jumped with a live child, so there was at least anger there, upon hearing the full story today, i'm just lost for words at how terrible this situation is. Jeremy vine is an excellent tool for delivering this sort of story too, as he has a way of communicating his own emotions on a subject very well, it was obvious he was as upset and touched as everyone else by the tone of his voice, something thats easy to loose, as people in his job tend to have 'seen it all'

tragic, just totally tragic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts