Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 years ago our Giulietta got a slight swipe down the side from another car. It was taken from us and repaired at the other insurers expense at an approved body shop.

Today whilst changing the oil filter I found this along the bottom of the drivers door. Both doors were replaced on that side and painted as part of the insurance claim.

Our G is 12 years old now, and probably doesn't have many more years in it, but imagine if you had a nearly new car take a swipe and then suffered this at 5 years old?

Now the question is, what to do about it. I cannot even remember who my insurer was at the time, let alone who did the repairs.

But why should I suffer from having a tatty car a few years after being involved in a shunt which wasn't my fault?

Rectangle Bumper Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
42,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't look good.

Did you not have any paperwork from the time which you filed in the "Full Service History"?

I will need to look for it. I am not sure what sort of warranty I could expect though after 5 years.

The passenger side is original and has no issues whatsoever

·
Registered
42,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats got to be the reason lots of cars get sold relatively early on. A feeling it’ll never be the same again. Sad.

That is the thing. When it was first done you would never have known that it had been repaired, so extreme care needs to be taken when buying a used car.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Nothing lost by asking both the original repairer and the 3rd party's insurer for their comments on the present conditions given you can also show photos of the unrepaired side for comparison.

·
Registered
42,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can't find any paperwork with regard to the claim yet, but I have details of my insurance at the time as well as the policy number so that is a start.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
42,176 Posts
Red may have faded differently but worth a go. Also recall being told a degree of “cold working” is done to get doors to fit initially in plant. The Giulietta is probably new enough to not need this activity with big lumps of wood levering them into place though!

·
Registered
42,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is just the door, I wouldn't bother trying to fix it
ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA PASSENGER FRONT N/S/F DOOR ROSSO MARANELLO / 2010>2016 | eBay or ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA DOOR PASSENGER FRONT HATCHBACK IN ROSSO RED 2016 - 2021 | eBay (different reds, different year spans) both look pretty good and rust/dent free, perhaps needing a bit of smart repair work. If one is right for your car, try an offer! Breakers will often bend :)

That's the wrong side, but it's a good idea.

I do have a tin of paint the correct colour which I got mixed a while back. I might just have a go at sanding it back, treating it and then repainting it.

I know that it won't look perfect but it will be better than rust.

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
Its odd for a new door to rust like that, its a shame there are cowboys about, but as they were approved you might have a case, go for it with the insurer but I fear a lot of hours on the phone

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
10,278 Posts
Even if it hadn't been damaged even the manufacturer only give a 3 year paint defect warranty......most body shops its a year. Five years?....I think you might have more chance of knitting fog! Good luck though......!

·
Registered
42,176 Posts
Even if it hadn't been damaged even the manufacturer only give a 3 year paint defect warranty......most body shops its a year. Five years?....I think you might have more chance of knitting fog! Good luck though......!
When Esure ruined our Audi repairing it when it was almost new I ended up discussing how to resolve the situation with the CEO. I distinctly remember him saying to me “and we say we give a lifetime warranty on the repairs!”
Then I happened to find an article in the paper about shopping around for the best quotes giving an example of a man with a 911 who’d got a great quote from Esure. They gave his name on the photo caption but neglected to say his profession or employer.

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
405 Posts
Aviva give lifetime warranty as long as you are still the owner of the car and a policyholder with them.

·
Registered
Giuilietta veloce 1.4 multiair & Merc C180 coupe
405 Posts
They will try to argue that the paint has been damaged since they fixed it. I can see it coming...
Take the door cards off and take photos of the inner door. Cavity wax is part of the repair process. I’m guessing on yours it will be missing. Then you can go back to the repairer fully armed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts