Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I'm hoping someone can shine some light onto this.
I woke up this morning, tried to start my car to go to work and the battery was completely flat...
I'm not sure what could have caused this, but when I got into the car everything looked fairly normal. The computer was on, although the time was wrong, and the lights turned on once the doors were open.
After charging the battery enough to start the car I have got to work without any problems, although a little worried that this may happen again (I always have my jump leads anyways, just in case ;) )
Anyone got any ideas what it could have been? Has it happened to anyone else before with no apparent reason?
Cheers guys...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Look very closely at your tail lights, is there one dimly lit? Do you have a bulb out warning on the dash?

If you can answer YES to both then get yourself a new rev counter.

If the answer is no then the radiator fan relay may need its terminals cleaning.

OR

You need to make sure the radio is turned off when you get out of the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My apologies for effectivly duplicating a thread, hadn't noticed this one. As it happens in my case I do have a light out warning on the dash but also have a side light bulb gone and a number plate light bulb gone. I had just replaced the number plate bulb, noticed the light out warning was still there. Discovered the side light had also gone and removed the bulb with intention of replacing. Could this in some way be related to flattening the battery then? How does this relate to the rev counter?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In the 156 the bulb out circuit is run by an IC chip in th Rev counter - if this chip blows then the rear light will be constantly on thus draining the battery. There is a earlier thread were someone was able to replace the IC chip but most people end up replacing the rev counter.

N

·
0 Posts
How old is the battery?

They don't last more that 2-3 years in my experience. :(
(I put it down to short morning runs to work, heavy
load with all the gadgets and high summer temperatures.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it is the chip that operates the light failure lamp would this only be a problem if the lights are left on (but go off with the ignition)? Nipped out ot check the car and no evidence of lights being on but then they are currently switched off, overnight the switch was left on. since they go off with the ignition I have a habit of leaving them switched on.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
When the chip blows the rear light stays on all the time - the rear lights short through the chip/rev counter, even if the ignition is off and the keys out, albeit very dim so you may not see it in daylight - do a search on "156 rev counter" and you will see the numbr of people who have experienced this issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll second Nev on the age of the battery. Mine suddenly went dead over night (it was 7 years old) - turned the ignition, a few lights came on but didn't even turn-over. Thought it had immobilised itself! New battery and now fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, does the rev counter issue still stand on the 147. I know when I drove the 156 I saw a light appear on the dash, but the light out is not showing on the computer on my 147.
There is no dim break light shining as far as I can see at the moment, but I will double check when its darker (will be a little easier)
As for the battery, I am unsure of it age. I know it is at the very newest 3 months old, but that is as long as I have had the car, I can't find any receipts for a battery at all, if it is the same battery as new then it is going to be 8 years old now.
I did get the same issue as Harry though, warning lights came on, the computer come on fully lit up (although the time reset to 12:00am) and all interior lights seemed unaffected. But as soon as I turned the key she didn't turn over at all.
I also do the same as Montrose, where I leave the lights to the on position, but they go out when the key is removed, so I think nothing of it. I thought as the lights would go out there is a switch on the ignition so I presume that would not have effected it

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No it is different with a 147 - here the lights are controlled through a body ECU rather than an IC in the Rev counter - again do a search on "body ECU/Computer" there are a number of threads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Replaced my blown side light bulb and the bulb failure lamp has gone out, no lights showing when everything is off, so thankfully it looks like the chip is OK. My battery does have one of those magic eye viewing covers and is showing black even afer fully charging overnight with a trickle charger, so I gues it is a simple matter of a battery that has come to the end of its life. Strangly the car was OK yesterday at work having been left all day so my guess is I hadn't closed the hatch properly overnight and the boot light was on, coupled with a failing battery.

If the hatch wasn't ajar causing a drain, then I have never known a battery fail so quickly, in my experience they have normally are a bit lethargic in the morning for a bit before giving up completly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts