Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just found that my battery is dead and had to jump start it to get it going. I've noticed that the low maintenance indicator is 'white' which according to the manual, I need to topup the battery, and guess what, 'contact your Alfa Dealer to fix', what a surprise!!

Does anyone know if I can do this without taking it to the garage???

Many Thanks
J-UK.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Jump starting is a very bad idea, very easy to blow ECUs these days.

Yes you need to remove the battery
Top-up with distilled water (Tesco's sell it for steam irons!)
Recharge overnight

keep monitoring the voltage every hour while charging and stop charging when the voltage stops going up.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
DavidC probably can give you a more accurate diagnosis/ opinion than myself, but you could try topping up, however the battery maybe 'Kaput' Which has me thinking, I disconnect mine on a regular basis,(High Amperage isolation switch) then all that seems to be required is, reset Date, Time, Clock, Odometer and soforth, no probs with ICE, but have I got it wrong or what??? Been doing it for a while now, 2yrs or so!!

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Yes, you can top up your battery. Just open it with a flat screwdriver and top up with distilled water. Just cover the desks with water, don’t fill it up to the edge.

Anyway, if your battery was starving of water and top of the desks was in contact with air for a long time you will need to replace it.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
zulu ferret said:
Good info Gotcha, what about my disconnection,no problems doing this?
There should be no problems with this disconnecting. It is just annoying to set up your board computer again and again, isn’t it?
BTW why do you do it? Do you have some hidden switch as theft protection? Or you disconnect it as you don’t want to discharge the battery?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts