Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My car requires a new battery but I don't have it with me so can't check the size...

It's a 2004 147 JTD M-Jet 16v

The garage says I need a '100' size battery but all the online guides state a '096'

The difference is the height - 175mm vs 190mm but what one is correct?

Is it a case that 175mm is the standard height but 190mm will fit?

I am with the car tomorrow so can measure what I have but just curious to know in advance!

All the best
Andy

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Checked on carparts4less, but that was a waste of time as they quote both .. :depressed:

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Also make sure you get correct capacity and CCA, as diesels require a higher capacity battery compared to petrol engines due to the higher compression and glowplugs.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again everyone :)

I will be with the car early tomorrow so will take my trusty tape measure and see whats fitted and buy a like for like size.

Either way it will be a Varta with either 750 CCA (74AH) or 780 CCA (77AH) depending on what size is fitted.

Can't believe the price difference vs Bosch considering they are made in the same factory!

Andy :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it helps, I bought Bosch S5 Battery "096" with 5 Year Guarantee and fitted to my 2004 JTD, no problem at all. It cost about £90 but guaranteed for 5 years, so less than £20 per year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks again everyone :)

I will be with the car early tomorrow so will take my trusty tape measure and see whats fitted and buy a like for like size.

Either way it will be a Varta with either 750 CCA (74AH) or 780 CCA (77AH) depending on what size is fitted.

Can't believe the price difference vs Bosch considering they are made in the same factory!

Andy :)
I have used a 075 battery on my 20v 156 for 6 year ideal as I dont have remove the battery to change the air filter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all the input :)

It turns out I had a '100' battery fitted and it was the original one from the factory (apparently).

I just went like for like and the car turns over far better and starts quicker so all is good.

:happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts