Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Bit of an unusual question. does anyone know the size of the battery tray on a V6 GTV.

The story is..

I've got an LPG tank in the boot of the car which leaves very little access for the battery to be removed/fitted.

I've been disconnecting the battery most nights as i've had a high drain on it. (0.08MA)

However I have also reached the conclusion that the battery is also knackered as most mornings the battery is not charged enough to turn the engine over despite being disconnected and showing a good voltage when I left it.

I want to fit a big over the top f off battery that can put up with the drain a little better while I try and fix that too. the one I have seen is;
Length: 353mm
Width: 175mm
Height: 190mm

Will it physically fit??

Also due to the poor access i think that my only option is to drop it in via the back seats by removing the seats and the parcel shelf to gain access.. bit of a pita but will this work?

any advise would be great..

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
477 Posts
Size wise, width and height is ok length might be a bit tight because of the hinge. Standard battery is 274mm long. However on you cannot fit the battery from inside the car. The cross member and a vertical plate stops you fitting it. The only way in is from the boot. I have fitted a battery isolation switch to my Phase 1, to make it easier to isolate it

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Size wise, width and height is ok length might be a bit tight because of the hinge. Standard battery is 274mm long. However on you cannot fit the battery from inside the car. The cross member and a vertical plate stops you fitting it. The only way in is from the boot. I have fitted a battery isolation switch to my Phase 1, to make it easier to isolate it
Thanks for your reply, nice idea about the isolator. I've managed prove your good self wrong. you can remove the battery from the inside, you have to remove the parcel shelf etc which allows you access to pull it out to the side and up. not the easiest way of doing it but the easiest way for me to do it. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Is yours a Phase 1 or 2? With the window angle I would not want to try. I also had a clamp over the top of my battery that I removed which would make it worse.
Also stripping the parcel shelf and speaker out was not easy when I stripped the car to repaint it.
A thought may be to fit an isolator switch and a set of leads to connect a charger on the side of the boot to overcome the LPG tank issue.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can recommend a Bosch S5 battery. It is wider than most but also not as high so fits in the tray nicely with no issues with the speaker above. A good powerful quality battery. Note the isolator, they are excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys. mine is phase 2, the angle was a bit awkward but not too bad. how did you remove the top bracket? I could have squeezed the current battery out of the boot but as i want to fit a bigger, more powerful one, so i needed to see if it was possible. i think i should be able to side the big bugger in but i'll check their returns policy on batteries before i buy.

that picture is really helpful. the parcel shelf wasnt as bad as i thought..

this is the monster i was hoping to use..
Duracell DA95H Advanced Car Battery Type 019 - 5 Year Guarantee

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.