Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six months ago the battery on our 147 failed after 6 years (pretty good) so we bought a new one - £100 worth i.e. not a cheapie.

It has worked perfectly well since then - until the other day. Liz (her car) normally drives about 300 miles a week. We parked the car in a car park for three days whilst we were in Paris on a short break. Got back and the battery was flat. Could have called the AA but it was late at night (11.00 - been up since 05.00) so I bumped it - I know, I know, - easy way to kill the cat - but we didn't care, just wanted to get home.

My point - so why was the battery flat? I checked all of the lights - including boot (off). The radio was off as were the side lights. Having driven 20 miles back there was still enough to start the engine this morning so the alternator is working.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
380 Posts
That happened in my old car yonks ago, turned out to be a interior light that didn't appear to be on but it was still draining the battery.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Also, I think most car batteries are under warranty if they fail in the first 12mths? Might be easier to get a replacement if this is the case and then do more investigating if it happens again.

N

·
0 Posts
Check the boot light. I seem to remember mine
was a bit temperamental.

Maybe the packing lights on by accident?

·
Registered
257 Posts
When you had the replaced the battery did you get the state of charge from the alternator checked?

Batteries can last beyond their stated lifetime as long as their charge state is constant...
As far as why the new battery has failed.... Alarm/immobiliser armed. If the car is used daily and then left for a few days dormant, the chances are that it will be drained, particularly if the Alternator hasn't been charging correctly.

It's a simple check with a voltage meter or any motor factor, tyre/exhaust centre can do it for you, usually free... then you will know for sure....

Always a cause to a problem ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts