Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if the battery is knackerd or the alternator is not charging? I had trouble starting this morning as there seemed to be no charge in the battery, checked the water levels a few weeks ago and although a little low topped them up. All full now but doesn't seem to have the charge. I've read some problems in the past of people disconnecting batteries and having problems with there cars etc, is it safe to take the battery off the car to re-charge it or could I re-charge it whilst it's still on the car?

Cheers

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the alternator isn't charging (or there is a fault with the system), the battery light on the dash will come on when driving. It may go off at higher revs and come on at idle.

BTW, my car turned over slowly this morning too after sitting from 4.30 friday afternoon. The first time it has ever done that. Started quickly though.......thank the big man upstairs !!!

Marlon

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny,

got the same probs last week,
even after topping up the battery it would lose its power if the car wasn't used in 24 hours.
Brand new battery and voila..., problem solved.
What's next:
new front screen
new exhaust
new door handles
guess there goes my christmas bonus

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi ian...the easy way it just to put a volt meter on the battery it should read 13volts or over with the engine running, if its 12 or less then the alternator is buggered, BTW a faulty alternator wont always put the light on.the only real way to test a battery for a duff cell is to use a drop tester but there is another way,
if you take off the battery tops then turn on everything electric you can(not the engine)then look into the battery if you can see a cell boiling then the battery is duff. :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its more likely to be the battery.

This time of year is a killer for batteries. Sudden usage of your heater, lights and demister etc on startup and probably for those short journeys to work and back doesn't do any favours. Replace the battery now before it lets you down (I know this from experience!)

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Most 'chain-store' garages like halfords, lucas, kwick-fit etc will do you a free battery test. They hope you will buy the battery from them, of course, although you are obviously not obliged to.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halfords used to sell little tubes of 'battery tablet' things that were supposed to sort out dying batteries and re-coat the plates with the right stuff. Might be an idea if the battery seems a little unwell. Cheaper than a new one too, which is always nice.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
halfords only do voltage check you need a load check ,but if batt is on meter with 12 or 13v then turn turn engine on and no change then suspect alt but if voltage gains about a volt or 2 then sus batt.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When my battery croaked last year, the RAC man put a Voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, so that's the test.

Ralf S.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My alternator died on me a month ago. spend the money to repair it with the original parts, and got bitched at by the alfa dealer when i told him that you guys had said that i could use generic parts. the dealer told me, fine, go a head and buy generic, but dont come here and cry afterwards.

Anyway, the point if the story is that at the same time i bought a new battery, the cheapest they had since i was low on cashflow, and still the battery warning light comes on every time the car has been standing for more than 3 hours. But when i put teh foot on the gas just a little bit, the light goes off.

i think its because of the shitty battery.

opinions??

N

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no its the regulator in the alternator thats faulty. or its idleing too slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts