Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
A quick question for you. I got a new battery for my 166 less than a year ago as the last one was old and died when I had not moved the car for 6 months. Well the new one has now died again, because I have not moved the car in about 4 months. My question is, will the battery hold a charge if I get the car going again, or do I need to fork out for a new battery? I know I should have disconnected it but I didn't really plan on leaving the car for so long.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I think most places offer a minimum 1 year warranty on their batteries, so you should check with the shop you bought it from.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Even a new battery will lose charge over a period of time as it needs to keep the car's electronics ticking over, four months with no starting is a good while. It may well still be fine but you'll need to make sure you charge it up again.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
take it back to the shop, i have just bought a battery with a 4 year garentee.
just don't say it's been stood.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Get yourself one of the diode controlled chargers,you will need an old type to put a little charge into the battery to enable the diode to open,after that charge and leave on when your not using the car,the diode will not allow it to overcharge.
Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers guys. The battery was recharged for a few days by a friend, and it's back as good as new now. I was convinced that once it was flat that was it, but seems perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts