Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice........
I have to leave my car at Gatwick car park for nearly 3 weeks
and am very worried that im gonna come back to a flat battery (battery is a month old)
Would it be wise to disconnect it, or do you think it will be ok?
Am also worried that if i disconnect it, the immobiliser will cut in and stop me starting it
when i reconnect it.......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Disconnect the battery cables and let them hang away from battery terminals so no draw can occur from battery.
And don't worry...when you hook up the terminals it'll start up...tighten them down and go.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I must admit, I do laugh at people whom write Italian cars for for electrical issues and reliability, however when it comes to them running out of electricity when left standing for more than 10 days or so (my experience) it is a bit funny (not really).

·
Registered
37,862 Posts
We have done a couple of stints with the spider not being used for 3 weeks. Started fine. If your battery is only a month old then no problem at all.

If you have a Spider and the alarm is prone to going off however....

·
Registered
393 Posts
My parents run a 156 from 2000 (single owners) and just to give you a perspective on how seldom they actually drive it, they told me that they put around 1300 km on it last year according to their local MOT reports. It's almost sad, if it wouldn't be for me liking to be able to drive an almost pristine 156 from time to time.

On another note, they never ever had any battery problems with it at all. Due to regular servicing, it's currently on it's third battery (not bad for a 16-yeard old) and gets driven once every 3 or 4 weeks. Kept in a garage in a warm climate, which obviously helps, but still impressive to have that reliability to simply start it up without any concerns.

Their neighbor, on the other hand, bought a 3 series at the same time as they bought the 156, and needed jumper cables on a regular basis...:thumbup:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I wouldn't worry, a 1month old battery should be fine.
Unless you have an issue with your car?
Most airport car parks take your car and park it for you anyway so disconnecting the battery isn't possible.
They will also be geared up for flat battery's as it probably happens on a regular basis.
In the 8 yrs I had my spider (now sadly missed) I made many winter trips to the USA to visit my son, leaving it at various airport car parks around the country and never once did I have an issue upon my return.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I've not had a problem either. However if you are worried buy a solar powered 12V battery charger from Maplin about £12 product code L58BF. Perfect and works in dull overcast condition, keeps the battery topped up. Have a good trip.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Most airport car parks take your car and park it for you anyway so disconnecting the battery isn't possible.
Only the cheap slightly dodgy ones plus the official Valet Parking.
The normal official Gatwick Long Term and Short Term, you keep your key.

But three weeks will not be an issue unless the car has a fault and is draining the battery.
If you are able to lock it without setting the alarm that may help if the alarm is sensitive to low flying aircraft...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Left mine at Luton earlier this year for 5 days and when I got back from Geneva at 23.00 car was completely dead.Walked to gate and saw an attendant, and within 5 min he was at car with starter battery.Had to sign disclaimer, and then he connected up and V6 burst into life.No charge - guy said it happens all the time.
Never had such problem before or since. I think I must have left radio on.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some advice........
I have to leave my car at Gatwick car park for nearly 3 weeks
and am very worried that im gonna come back to a flat battery (battery is a month old)
Would it be wise to disconnect it, or do you think it will be ok?
Am also worried that if i disconnect it, the immobiliser will cut in and stop me starting it
when i reconnect it.......
Disconnect,i always do,even if I don't use it for a week.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
If your batteries new then you shouldn't have any problems. My GTV used to sit for longer than that and never had a problem.
Just pay attention to your keys when you come back. I spend a lot of time in the long stay car parks at Gatwick. Getting people back into there cars. After they come back tired chuck all the luggage in the boot along with there keys and shut it locking themselves out. It happens more than you'd think.
I did three jobs all because people had done this on new years eve without ever leaving the north car park!
On another note some of the private valet car parking companies around Gatwick are as mentioned dodgy to say the least. I've done jobs for a few of them when they have managed to loose the customers key. The customers car is normally on the side of the road somewhere in Crawley certainly not in a secure car park.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I live right by Gatwick airport, big issues with parking firms using the streets for parking, good money if you can get away with it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When I was moving house I had to kick the spider out of the garage whilst boxes were being stored. I disconnected the battery and locked the car with they key. Just have to be careful getting the window into the hood. When you reconnect the alarm will probably go off but the fob will stop it. No issues with the immoboliser.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Have parked my car for two to three weeks at a time many times without disconnecting anything and locking it with the button (i.e. setting the alarm). Never yet had any problems with that. Open car with the button, get in, turn the key and the engine starts just as easily as if I'd just left it overnight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts