Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you Mike, I will definitely Need help with this one, atm I'm trying to get a set off those keys that look like Allen keys to do the spark plugs

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
In order to access any of the spark plugs, the metal frame around the spark plugs must be removed. It is held down by 3 screws (I think they are T40 Torx head screws). The frame will need to be gently levered up as the rubber boots on the spark plugs get quite a strong hold.

I don't really expect removing spark plugs to resolve anything as the car is a non start and having issues with 4 ignition coils at once after changing the MAF to the point the engine won't start is very remote. Nonetheless, removing spark plugs immediately after trying to start engine should show 8 wet spark plugs when the engine won't start.

I think it is something related to what has been done. As I suggested earlier, examine the air trunking between MAF and throttle body. Are you sure the arrow on the MAF points to the rear of the car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi, the arrow is going the right way, I thought because the car hasn't had the spark plugs changed for a while, I was thinking I should put new ones in. As far as the throttle body, where is that located ? then I will try the cut off switch for the petrol, I'm just trying everything people have suggested

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't know what the heck I'm doing ? I'm just following the advice that everyone has given me, let's see how I go doing an oil change later, which I know isn't that hard ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you are unsure on what you are doing it may be worthwhile getting a mechanic to do some of the jobs. I know how much mechanics can cost and it is always annoying throwing away good money at something which is potentially such an easy fix.

If you follow the air inlet hose from the air box, past the MAF sensor and along where the rubber hose joins onto the engine, that is the throttle body. Usually the rubber hose is just connected with a simple worm drive clamp or similar. Take car as due to the age of these cars plastic/rubber components can be brittle.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
We are trying to advise so you don't have to spend money on unnecessary parts.

I don't have access to my cars right now but I'll try to get some sort of pictures so it is more easily understood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you, I will only do what I know that I'm capable of doing, I went to start it today, it wants to start with a little bit of gurgling, I watch the revs go up, but then the car stops. I will check the petrol cut off switch tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well it finally starts, I reset the ECU and throttle, it took it a little bit to rev properly, but it got there. but when I took it for a drive it drove OK but it still won't go over 60 klms, unless I realease the excellorator
( throttle) then it picks up speed, oh I still have no idea where the petrol off switch is, or do I not need to push the button now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Petrol switch is under the front of the passenger seat. Just a large flat black rubber button. If you car starts and runs, then that is not a problem. It's a safety device designed to switch off the fuel pump if the car undergoes sudden changes in movement. i.e when you have a crash it turns the fuel pump off so fuel doesn't spray everywhere causing a fire. They can sometimes be activated during 'normal' driving without actually having a crash.

Is your car selespeed? I see no reason why a normal car with a standard manual gearbox would not be able to go over 60kms. If it's selespeed then a part of that may be preventing speed increase, it could be stuck in a gear for instance.

It's probably not necessary to reset throttle again. I see no harm in doing it, but it probably won't achieve much.

I can only think that when the MAF sensor was replaced the battery was disconnected? When the battery was reconnected the car was started up quickly giving little time for the throttle and ECU to calibrate itself, resulting in poor running at start-up. Of course, you say you had problems before you replaced the MAF which is why you replaced the MAF. Those problems are likely to still persist so you will still need to find them.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
As off Mike stated, no need to check for the fuel inertial cut switch.
Do you have an owners' manual?

I still suspect an issue with the black plastic/rubber air trunking (about 80mm diameter) which connects the MAF sensor to the throttle body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Petrol switch is under the front of the passenger seat. Just a large flat black rubber button. If you car starts and runs, then that is not a problem. It's a safety device designed to switch off the fuel pump if the car undergoes sudden changes in movement. i.e when you have a crash it turns the fuel pump off so fuel doesn't spray everywhere causing a fire. They can sometimes be activated during 'normal' driving without actually having a crash.

Is your car selespeed? I see no reason why a normal car with a standard manual gearbox would not be able to go over 60kms. If it's selespeed then a part of that may be preventing speed increase, it could be stuck in a gear for instance.

It's probably not necessary to reset throttle again. I see no harm in doing it, but it probably won't achieve much.

I can only think that when the MAF sensor was replaced the battery was disconnected? When the battery was reconnected the car was started up quickly giving little time for the throttle and ECU to calibrate itself, resulting in poor running at start-up. Of course, you say you had problems before you replaced the MAF which is why you replaced the MAF. Those problems are likely to still persist so you will still need to find them.
Now that you mention the stuck in gear bit, when I had to go get the car as it stopped going from the bad sensor, anyway, when I got to where my son had left the car , as it just wouldn't start again I then seen that the gear stick had popped out off the gear box. I had a friend who put it back into place, and he said it wasn't hard to put it back where It popped out off. What I'm trying to say is, could my friend possibly not have put the gear stick back in properly, as it only took him about 2 minutes to fix it after he knew where it popped out from, so could that be a bit off the Problem??? ??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As off Mike stated, no need to check for the fuel inertial cut switch.
Do you have an owners' manual?

I still suspect an issue with the black plastic/rubber air trunking (about 80mm diameter) which connects the MAF sensor to the throttle body.
Hi, I will get that looked at, within a couple days, I just might find out one day ? what's wrong with it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts