Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one, I had to replace the mass air censor. After it was done, I went to start the car, but all I got was the dash lights showing. So I'm wandering if the new censor could be doing it at all, so if anyone knows the problem can you help me. ? I'm trying yo get the Alfa going as I want to go see my grand daughters

·
Registered
502 Posts
Need some more information. Car (147, 156, gt), engine and transmission type.

Battery flat? Check the voltage with a multi-meter if you have one. It will give you an indication of it's health. If it has one of those colour changing spots check that too. If it has a date marked on it, usually a month and a year ending in the last two digits, i.e. 8 - 16 for August 2016, let us know.

Relay's in the box in front of the battery may have been disconnected when the MAF was replaced?

Steering lock on so you can't turn the key to the start position?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need some more information. Car (147, 156, gt), engine and transmission type.

Battery flat? Check the voltage with a multi-meter if you have one. It will give you an indication of it's health. If it has one of those colour changing spots check that too. If it has a date marked on it, usually a month and a year ending in the last two digits, i.e. 8 - 16 for August 2016, let us know.

Relay's in the box in front of the battery may have been disconnected when the MAF was replaced?

Steering lock on so you can't turn the key to the start position?
Hi, can you explain what you mean about the relay box, is there something I should be looking for, thank you

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,176 Posts
Put the old sensor back in and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There is a box of relays at the front of the battery. They might have been dislodged when the MAF was changed, it is all in quite close proximity and the engine bays of these cars can be tight. Even if all those relays were all removed from the car it the car should still at least try to start I would think. The relays are just for fuel and fan systems as indicated on the cover. Obviously you need fuel for a engine to start, but the starter should still be cranking it when you turn the key which does not seem to be occurring as nothing happens when you turn the key.

Try paul.o 's suggestion of putting the old sensor back.

Any information on the battery?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • There is a box of relays at the front of the battery. They might have been dislodged when the MAF was changed, it is all in quite close proximity and the engine bays of these cars can be tight. Even if all those relays were all removed from the car it the car should still at least try to start I would think. The relays are just for fuel and fan systems as indicated on the cover. Obviously you need fuel for a engine to start, but the starter should still be cranking it when you turn the key which does not seem to be occurring as nothing happens when you turn the key.

• There is a box of relays at the front of the battery. They might have been dislodged when the MAF was changed, it is all in quite close proximity and the engine bays of these cars can be tight. Even if all those relays were all removed from the car
Put the old sensor back in and see if it makes a difference.
There is a box of relays at the front of the battery. They might have been dislodged when the MAF was changed, it is all in quite close proximity and the engine bays of these cars can be tight. Even if all those relays were all removed from the car it the car should still at least try to start I would think. The relays are just for fuel and fan systems as indicated on the cover. Obviously you need fuel for a engine to start, but the starter should still be cranking it when you turn the key which does not seem to be occurring as nothing happens when you turn the key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well the battery problem got fixed but the car with the new sensor in, it still does the same as it did when the old sensor was put in it .so next step?should i replace the fuel filter .
Hi,the new sensor performed exactly the same as when the old one was in ,so I didn't bother putting the old one back in.Im going to put in a new fuel filter ,see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would not think a fuel filter would do much. Unless it is a diesel, the fuel filters for the petrol models are generally non-serviceable and come combined with the fuel pump which is not entirely cheap. Even if you had a completely blocked filter the car should still try to start by engaging the starter motor.

Can you record and upload a video of you turning the key to try and start the car?

Check all the fuses to make sure none are blown. There are the fuses on top of the battery under two little folding covers on the positive terminal end. And another set of fuses behind a cover under the steering wheel near the drivers knee. Your car manual should have the locations and information on each fuse. If you don't have a manual, I can take some photos of my manual or the locations of my fuse boxes in my 156. If you have a 147 or GT, it will be similar, but some things may be different. Still, a blown fuse is a blown fuse no matter where it is located or what it does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would not think a fuel filter would do much. Unless it is a diesel, the fuel filters for the petrol models are generally non-serviceable and come combined with the fuel pump which is not entirely cheap. Even if you had a completely blocked filter the car should still try to start by engaging the starter motor.

Can you record and upload a video of you turning the key to try and start the car?

Check all the fuses to make sure none are blown. There are the fuses on top of the battery under two little folding covers on the positive terminal end. And another set of fuses behind a cover under the steering wheel near the drivers knee. Your car manual should have the locations and information on each fuse. If you don't have a manual, I can take some photos of my manual or the locations of my fuse boxes in my 156. If you have a 147 or GT, it will be similar, but some things may be different. Still, a blown fuse is a blown fuse no matter where it is located or what it does.

Hi Mikesalfa,after putting in the new sensor, the car did start but only for about 10 seconds,as it was still coughing and splattering like it did when the old sensor was playing up.i will check all the fuses tomorrow and replace any blown ones ,then get back to you.Thank you?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Spark plugs could be the issue. What sort of engine? V6, JTS, or Twin Spark? Each engine can run poorly due to different factors. The throttle body may be very dirty causing rough running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spark plugs could be the issue. What sort of engine? V6, JTS, or Twin Spark? Each engine can run poorly due to different factors. The throttle body may be very dirty causing rough running.
Its twin spark, I will see if I can put new ones in tomorrow, as they would be needing new ones by now. Where is the throttle body, and how do I clean it. ? if needed to.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Just a really stupid thought but on under the front of passenger seat there is an inertial fuel cut off switch. Try pressing the round rubber bit down. If you can feel it click whilst doing so, it had triggered. If it did, resetting it will now allow the engine to start and run.

Also, if you follow the large diameter air trunking from mass air flow sensor, it connects to the throttle body. The throttle body has the engine ECU on top of it with 2 large multi plugs on it. There are other things to look for.

Ensure the air trunking from mass air flow (MAF) sensor is not split. You may have to remove this but check carefully.

Is the multi plug on MAF fitted correctly?

Is the MAF fitted the correct way round? There is an arrow on it to show the direction of air flow from the air filter to the engine.

Look at the engine ECU. There is a small brown earth wire which is secured by a small Torx type pan headed screw. This carries the negative or earth to engine ECU. It must be in good condition and make a good connection to the throttle body chassis Use a wire brush or emery cloth to ensure you have a good connection here. I have seen this being disturbed and causing issues.

Spark plugs are meant to last 60000 miles/100000 km. I thing they should be changed around 48k though. There are 8 spark plugs which are originally platinum coated. They are expensive. If genuine NGK ones are not fitted, they have a shorter life but I do not think that is the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thànk you for all the information, I will check everything you mentioned
Cheers
Just a really stupid thought but on under the front of passenger seat there is an inertial fuel cut off switch. Try pressing the round rubber bit down. If you can feel it click whilst doing so, it had triggered. If it did, resetting it will now allow the engine to start and run.

Also, if you follow the large diameter air trunking from mass air flow sensor, it connects to the throttle body. The throttle body has the engine ECU on top of it with 2 large multi plugs on it. There are other things to look for.

Ensure the air trunking from mass air flow (MAF) sensor is not split. You may have to remove this but check carefully.

Is the multi plug on MAF fitted correctly?

Is the MAF fitted the correct way round? There is an arrow on it to show the direction of air flow from the air filter to the engine.

Look at the engine ECU. There is a small brown earth wire which is secured by a small Torx type pan headed screw. This carries the negative or earth to engine ECU. It must be in good condition and make a good connection to the throttle body chassis Use a wire brush or emery cloth to ensure you have a good connection here. I have seen this being disturbed and causing issues.

Spark plugs are meant to last 60000 miles/100000 km. I thing they should be changed around 48k though. There are 8 spark plugs which are originally platinum coated. They are expensive. If genuine NGK ones are not fitted, they have a shorter life but I do not think that is the problem.
Hi, I will try that for what I know where things are, I just can't get the leads off the spark plugs to get them out, there's too many hoses, leads etc in alfas :rolleyes:o_O

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi can you tell me what's a cheaper lot of spark plugs I can buy for the alfa, so you can't just buy
Bosch spark plugs,??? as that is what I bought, the guy at repco said they will be OK to use for the alfa

·
Registered
502 Posts
The TS takes two different kinds of plugs. One is smaller and typically more expensive. The other is a more standard type. I went on my Repco site (NZ) and it came up with 2 plugs, both NGK. One at ~$60 and the other at ~$40. I'm not saying they have, but the people at Repco can get things wrong.

You can get them cheaper if you buy from overseas, even with freight factored in.

But I would first, try to inspect the current plugs. So that is removing the cover, coil packs and plugs themselves. I would also inspect the air intake hose especially along the flexible parts for any damage. While the inlet hose is removed for inspection I would take the opportunity to inspect the butterfly valve in the throttle body for accumulation of black oily deposits. The throttle body is connected to engine side of the air inlet hose. Some google searching and you will be able to find the throttle body location and what they typically look like.

If you want to clean it, buy some throttle body cleaner or carburettor cleaner in a can. Have an assistant turn the key to the on position (do not start the car). When in that position if the assistant presses down on the accelerator the valve inside the throttle body should move. You should also hear a hum/whine from the throttle body. That is normal. Spray the cleaner around the valve and use a cloth to soak up any that drips out, and to wipe around as much as you can, front and rear of the valve and at it's pivot points. Don't move the valve by hand. Communicate with the assistant in the drivers seat as to if you would like the valve open (accelerator pedal pressed down) or closed (foot off accelerator).

If you have no assistant then you will just have to make do with spraying on a close valve and wiping what you can.

Put the car all back together, air hose etc. Start and run the car. It will probably idle rough for a few seconds as it sucks up and burns the residual cleaner and deposits that you cleaned off. After 15 seconds the car should be running smoothly if the cleaning was successful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts