Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of silly questions if I may: am I missing something to go between the battery terminal and the positive lead clamp shown in the picture below? Even with the clamp tightened right up it is still a loose fit on the terminal. It jumps off over speed bumps with "entertaining" results. I wondered if there was meant to be a thin walled copper ferrule or something in there to reduce the diameter.

Oh, and are all battery terminal posts the same diameter?

Told you they were silly questions :biglaugh:

Cheers, Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
No you arent missing anything. The battery post has a slight taper so you need to be sure the terminal clamp/ block is all the way down before you tighten it. If this doesnt help the terminal clamp ring is pretty puny so are you sure the bottom ring hasnt broken? Mine did and its not immediately obvious. I cant tell from your pic.

I believe positive and negative terminals are slightly different diameters. If yours is broken you can get a solid brass universal positive clamp that does the same job for a few pounds but you will have to adapt it for 3 connections. Alternatively it is possible an alfa garage sells the clamp as a spare. I belive it is used on several models. I thought it was so rubbish I preferred to use the solid brass type and a bit of my time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Richard. I'll probably just get an aftermarket one with the 2 x M6 and 1 x M8 connector off ebay. Now I've researched them a bit more they seem to be cheap and common.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts