Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before today, I drove my 156 last Thursday and I'll be the first to admit the battery wasn't sparking her into life with a short, sharp shock.

So, today I came to start her and nothing. A momentary groan from the starter motor then red lights and that disconcerting click, click, click.

Using a spare battery I managed to start her OK and thought a 13 mile run to my destnation would charge the battery up.

Before setting off for home again, I measured the voltage across the terminals at 12.46V so I confidently turned the ignition and .............. red lights and that disconcerting click, click, click.

BTW, the selespeed pump motor ran perfectly OK.

Is it possible for a battery to appear fully charged (volts) but have no power (amps) to turn the engine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just taken a look and the volts are still there but nothing else.

Now, how on earth do I remove the battery, specifically the terminal box sitting on top of it. It seems solidly attached to the battery!

The car is a 2001 156 selespeed 2.0l.

many thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
undo the positive terminal and the box comes out with the cable...

btw my car usually has about 12.1-12.3V after a few days and starts perfectly fine..12.46V is almost a fully charged battery

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Don't be fooled by voltage readings alone - mine was recently the same, but had a dead cell, now replaced

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
btw my car usually has about 12.1-12.3V after a few days and starts perfectly fine..12.46V is almost a fully charged battery
12.46V is not fully charged.
Anything below 12.6V needs charging.
12.2V is technically flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts