Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a wiring kit to install battery into the boot?
i think an engine bay looks so much better without that lump of a battery! :)

did think of gettin a heavy duty jumper set for cable and buying new terminals, claping the battery in the boot and re terminating all leads under the bonnet. making sure that i add a ventilation pipe through the boot floor panel. then makin a nice cover for it....
i am an engineer by trade but it does'nt help to ask tho

:D

M

·
0 Posts
sounds good...you will need to take pics to show us how you did it !!

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Can you run the battery Positive cable under the car? If you drill some holes in the floor you'll be able to clip it in place with some P clips.

I'd guess the best place to come back into the car is through the boot floor over the rear silencer, as the floor there is recessed (looking at it from underneath) so any water/spray thrown up by the rear wheels would have to run uphill to get into the boot (though I presume you'd seal the hole with a rubber grommet anyway).

Negative earth is just any eart point so that can go from the battery to a tapped hole/captive nut on the rear wheel arch.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you run the battery Positive cable under the car? If you drill some holes in the floor you'll be able to clip it in place with some P clips.

I'd guess the best place to come back into the car is through the boot floor over the rear silencer, as the floor there is recessed (looking at it from underneath) so any water/spray thrown up by the rear wheels would have to run uphill to get into the boot (though I presume you'd seal the hole with a rubber grommet anyway).

Negative earth is just any eart point so that can go from the battery to a tapped hole/captive nut on the rear wheel arch.

Ralf S.
cheers ralf! :)

will try it and does sound like one of the better options! :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
Slow down Brad (EA), have you ever thought why it is in the engine bay? Old beetle's had a battery under the rear seat. The place where all beetle's rusted through first, battery acid! And another thing, every time you start your car you are charging your battery, what about the fumes. Maybe read your manual about charging your battery in confined space. Is this a plot to do away with Wayne and Sturge when they are sitting in the back! Ha ha Did i get you worried? Think it will be great dude. Will see tonight.

So thats what you do in your off days!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
For those of you that dont understand the humour here, EA and i are flat mates!

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Good point though.. I presume Explosive is going to weld/bolt the battery tray in there and provide a hole for the vent pipe.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point though.. I presume Explosive is going to weld/bolt the battery tray in there and provide a hole for the vent pipe.

Ralf S.
yep, ralf, i have thought of that! gonna drill a hole in the floor pan of the boot, and push the overflow pipe from the battery in. this will allow gasses to pass out of the car.

cheers for the thought though! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
You could look at a differenmt battery type, I used to run an Optima yellow top in my suzuki, completely sealed and you can mount it anywhich way up you feel.
Just make sure you have a really good earth to the engine from the bodywork again. Or you could end up with starting/cahrging issues.
JP

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You could look at a differenmt battery type, I used to run an Optima yellow top in my suzuki, completely sealed and you can mount it anywhich way up you feel.
Just make sure you have a really good earth to the engine from the bodywork again. Or you could end up with starting/cahrging issues.
JP
did think about that, these batts are deep cycle if i remember! normally sed for ICE systems as the second batt. but has been known for running a car as 1st batt.

the cable i am gonna use is 35mm thick!, which i think is gonna be more then enouth

·
Registered
122 Posts
did think about that, these batts are deep cycle if i remember! normally sed for ICE systems as the second batt. but has been known for running a car as 1st batt.

the cable i am gonna use is 35mm thick!, which i think is gonna be more then enouth

Mine was just running as a single setup, the standard Suzuki thing wouldn't run a wall clock let alone the 5 amps, EPX2 and the other nonsense that went into her... Cable wise you should be laughing with that though.
Good luck with it all.
JP

·
Registered
429 Posts
you're gonna use a 35 mm cable ??

the wires holding up the forth bridge are barely 35 mm !! :lol:

i assume you mean 3.5mm ??

don't listen to the nay sayers ! the battery will be fine in the boot, there are several vehicles which have their batteries in the boot. the classic mini being just one.
i also have a feeling that some of the mk2 cortinas had the battery in the boot, 1600e comes to mind ? i could be wrong tho

so long as the battery is fixed securely in place there should be no problems at all.

personally i'd use a heavier cable than 3.5, maybe a 6 mm. if you look at the size of cable going to the battery just now, that should give an indication of the required diameter.
i'd also be inclined to run the cable inside the car, then you lessen the chances of any damage.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, the cable is a bit more then 3.5mm but it isnt 35mm either:rolleyes: its gonna be about 8mm for a cable run of that length.. just gotta find the time to do it! :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts