Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon all.

What are my options? Mine was made in 2004 and is past its best.

Size 027 & 031 seem to be coming up.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you go to ECP - order it for pickup on line first and apply the relevant discount code , that way you'll get the best price - just make its the right one when you pick it up - they have been known to make mistakes, postage is free as well if you dont mind waiting a couple of days

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Looking at the physical size, the 31 is taller. The current battery has about 15 washers to make the screw down frame fit so I'm guessing it's the wrong one.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
might be worth looking at a "positive pole on left" battery...that way, a battery disconnect, if you have one, is much less of a hassle to turn on and off, as the poles are then facing into the trunk at you, not into the wing!
S4 spider batteries were originally rated at 60Ah.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is CTEK maintained via a flying lead. Need to take it to a battery centre:)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got an 031 fitted today. £50 from Euro Car Parts with a piston heads dizzy code.

Defo the right size height wise & the terminals face outwards to the boot rather than inwards to the wing so fitting was easy :)

Hopefully this will cure the hot start click & no start issues.....

·
Registered
44,780 Posts
Got an 031 fitted today. £50 from Euro Car Parts with a piston heads dizzy code.

Defo the right size height wise & the terminals face outwards to the boot rather than inwards to the wing so fitting was easy :)

Hopefully this will cure the hot start click & no start issues.....
I had exactly that hot start, click and no go issue with a Fiat I had before the Mito. You're right, a new battery is the answer, no problems after it was fitted. :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure I've asked this before but have searched & can't find my question or the solution involving contacts under the bonnet.

Anyway, the intermittent issue still exists when hot. Turn the key, click from under the bonnet then nothing. Persist & she'll usually fire.

Not keen on the additional relay option. Any suggestions please & apologies for asking, probably again....... :eek:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I'm sure I've asked this before but have searched & can't find my question or the solution involving contacts under the bonnet.

Anyway, the intermittent issue still exists when hot. Turn the key, click from under the bonnet then nothing. Persist & she'll usually fire.

Not keen on the additional relay option. Any suggestions please & apologies for asking, probably again....... :eek:

connections under the bonnet: small black box on left hand inner wing with the thick red live starter wires going into it....clip off the cover, remove connections, clean with a copper brush and tighten them back on with some copper ease grease.

Grounds tend to get worse when hot....so check all grounds (earths)...main copper braided one under the car from bellhousing to chassis; main battery earth bolted to boot floor; even do the main ECU earth on rear of head behind no. 4 injector.....but remove and clean, looking is not good enough with grounds!

Check all connections on the starter itself (remove battery when working there)
Check connections on ignition switch.

Otherwise the starter relay is an easy job and might well just cure your problem....it usually does from what I have read........will cost you 15 quid and an hours work.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
connections under the bonnet: small black box on left hand inner wing with the thick red live starter wires going into it....clip off the cover, remove connections, clean with a copper brush and tighten them back on with some copper ease grease.

Grounds tend to get worse when hot....so check all grounds (earths)...main copper braided one under the car from bellhousing to chassis; main battery earth bolted to boot floor; even do the main ECU earth on rear of head behind no. 4 injector.....but remove and clean, looking is not good enough with grounds!

Check all connections on the starter itself (remove battery when working there)
Check connections on ignition switch.

Otherwise the starter relay is an easy job and might well just cure your problem....it usually does from what I have read........will cost you 15 quid and an hours work.
Cheers:thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts