Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, could somebody please tell me once and for all, the best battery for an alfa 147 t spark 1.6 2001 petrol, halfords disagree with other suppliers , most responses are "we think this is right" i want someone to say, ive got this alfa and this is the best battery, thanks in advance dave :cheese:

·
Registered
38,910 Posts
I wouldn't trust Halfords, plus they are very expensive.

Most motorfactors should be able to supply a battery for under £40 Type 063 is what you need.

You can spend a lot more on fancy Calcium or gel batteries but I doubt you would notice much difference in normal use.

Also See here. ;)

Alfa Romeo 147 Petrol (2000>>) Car Battery

The advantage of a motor factor local to you is that you can take it back if they sell you a duff one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help. i read on a forum that battery size was an issue as the strap holding it in is very tight, any comments on that, go who would have thought a battery could be such a hassle, never had this problem with my ford, mind you it drove like a tin can, the 147s in a different league !!!!! the 063 bosch looks good, ill investigate !

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
thanks for your help. i read on a forum that battery size was an issue as the strap holding it in is very tight, any comments on that
yes and many website list undersize battery to appear cheeper...

Assuming your current battery fits properly and is held tightly by the strap, measure your battery.

Height will be either 175mm or 190mm
Length usually 242mm, but some sites are listing 212mm. (156 V6 & JTD are 278mm)
Width always 175mm

K

·
0 Posts
the strap isn't the only part that holds it down, the bolted part clamps down onto a moulded part on the battery base so i shouldn't worry about the strap being loose. think that's the case on the 147 anyway, is on the 156's i've had :confused:

i would highly recommend getting a bosch battery. in the 2 yeras or more we were supplying them we only had a handful of warranty complaints, really only 2 or 3 if that. with exide before that we got probably 5 or 6 every month :tut:

well worth spending a few quid more for a bosch :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
the strap isn't the only part that holds it down, the bolted part clamps down onto a moulded part on the battery base so i shouldn't worry about the strap being loose. think that's the case on the 147 anyway, is on the 156's i've had :confused:
Still means the wrong battery though...

·
Registered
38,910 Posts
The battery on my GTV that has just died is an Exide.

It is 3 years old almost to the day. I would have expected better I must admit.

I am finding that when I search for batteries I get a different type on each site. :confused:

·
Registered
38,910 Posts
That one should be fine IMO.

It may be worth going out to your car and checking the one on your car is an 063 first though. I am finding sites that are recommending a different battery to the one that is on the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats my prob, im no diy type and the battery is so well strapped in and covered in protective casing i cant get at it, ive got someone to come round and fit it when ive got it, but i cant drive the car to a garage for advice as it wont start, catch 22, dont know why i just assumed this car/year/model would all take the same size batter, but according to David C who seems well knowlegable thats far from the case, bloody italians !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38,910 Posts
I am pretty sure the 063 is the right sort. I have just been looking at batteries for my GTV and there are several types with different numbers that will fit.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I have got Exide EA640 battery in my 147 1,6TS. Its 242x175x190 mm and 64Ah. Fits perfectly. Original battery the car came with was also Exide but I think it was lower capacity, 55 or 60 Ah.

Curiously, its too tall for my GTA as the strap was too short and I had to use 242x175x175mm battery there. Its seems the tray is the same, but there are more strap lengths used by the petrol 147s.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
in my 147 1,6TS. Its 242x175x190 mm and 64Ah. Fits perfectly.
That is the size I'd expect.
It is an "027" fitment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to everyone for the input, the exide ea640 is the size that david c reccomends it appears 242 is a rare measurement !!! i expect a few will do the job but as im ordering by post better get it right, will post back hopefully with a success story, cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts