Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using my Landy during the snowy weather and went to start the GT 1.9JTD today - no go - a bit surprised since the car is only 5 months old. I was just about to connect up the charger when I consulted the book which said to disconnect the negative lead first.
Questions 1. how necessary is this?
2. can I connect a conditioner to the battery WITHOUT disconnecting the negative?
3. as above and can I connect through the cigar lighter even though it's not 'live' at rest?

Has anyone got the definitive answer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
It is advised to disconnect the negative although I've not worried about it as long as the current is low. Some are concerned that diodes in the car's charging circuit might blow in reverse bias. If the lighter socket is not live with the ignition off then it is not connected so the charger will not charge the battery. Optimate and Accumate have leads that can be left across the battery.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is advised to disconnect the negative although I've not worried about it as long as the current is low. Some are concerned that diodes in the car's charging circuit might blow in reverse bias. If the lighter socket is not live with the ignition off then it is not connected so the charger will not charge the battery. Optimate and Accumate have leads that can be left across the battery.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with Optimate and Accumate - not sure what you mean about leaving the leads accross the battery.

I've looked them up on the interweb and understand now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts