Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my car under it's cover for two weeks without touching it. When I tried to use it the battery was totally flat not even a glimmer of a light. So flat that my smart charger wouldn't kick in.The battery is almost new and has given no trouble before, I checked all the obvious things like lights left on etc. etc.
So, could the alarm cause such a flat battery in that time and would locking with the key instead of the remote help at all. The car is going to stand till the new year after today, I don't fancy taking the battery disconnect option, any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If your car is phase 1 with the original Scorpion alarm, it should be consuming no more than 13mA - so is unlikely to be the problem. I don't know the current drain for the phase 2 Meta alarm though.

If you have the factory radio/cassette that is supposed to have a high current drain - although I've never measured it. Some people wire it off with the ignition to solve that problem.

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
This is a regular problem with my TS. I can leave her undriven over the weekend and Monday she is as dead as
:( I used her for work yesterday, parked her up on the drive at about 4pm and this morning......nada :cry: The V6 however....never a problem and she can sit for days on the drive not moving (prob eat my words later :lol:)

This is the 3rd brand new battery I've had and it gets very tiresome :rant: I think I shall have to get me one of those chargers now so thanks for the link :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
I have one of those, which I bought from Maplins.

Not used it on the car yet though, but I would guess it would work well enough.

If I was going to get another I would get a larger one next time. That one is 1.8 watts, but the 4 watts and 16 watt versions are not much more expensive.

1.8 watts at 13.8 Volts is only 130 mA which is a bit borderline in its effectiveness IMO, especially as the days are short at this time of year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
my battery was always going flat,turned out to be the stereo.i took the stereo out after the summer so i could store it and you could literally leave the car for 4 weeks and the battery would still be perfect.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of a solar charger but having the waterproof cover on would mean I'd have to leave it on the outside on the drive. For that price I might take the chance. Thanks for the link.
I just don't get it, it's been left for days on end during the summer with no problem.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
I like the idea of a solar charger but having the waterproof cover on would mean I'd have to leave it on the outside on the drive. For that price I might take the chance. Thanks for the link.
I just don't get it, it's been left for days on end during the summer with no problem.
I've had a solar charger on for 2 years, no problems with the battery but impossible to say if it would have been ok with or without it......:Hmm: Car sat for 3 weeks during the snow last year then started fine....

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm liking this idea more and more. It might sound like a daft question but how heavy is it? Would it be sent flying if the wind blows the car cover. I thought I might put it on the windscreen or the bonnet, where it wouldn't be seen by passers by. I'd leave it on the floor but the postie or some leaflet poster would probably tread on it knowing my luck :lol:

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
My 2 Watt one weighs about 400 grams and is pretty tiny.

I am sure you could fix it on top of the cover, then route the wires to the battery.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same problem but it was quite sudden, 48 hours would do it. I traced it to the alarm siren which is under the engine cover on the drivers side. I just took it off so now the alarm works (lights flash) but it makes no noise. There's a battery in the siren unit (meta system) that I presume goes flat after years and then drains the car battery. Easy check... Lock the car with the keys and don't engage the alarm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having had to call the RAC out today for a flat battery, I've been wondering about a solar trickle charger as well. On a phase 2 GTV, is the lighter socket live when the ignition is off? I've nothing to test it with at the moment.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Having had to call the RAC out today for a flat battery, I've been wondering about a solar trickle charger as well. On a phase 2 GTV, is the lighter socket live when the ignition is off? I've nothing to test it with at the moment.
No the Cigar lighter isn't live with the ignition off.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have to remove the 'face off' panel of the head unit when I am not using the Spider for a while as the red standby light saps the cars power in about three weeks if I don't

·
Registered
89 Posts
My battery was flattened recently by it being at the garage for 2 weeks having the brakes done (Brembo bits took ages to arrive). Car drove home OK, next day dead as a dodo.
It's a new-ish battery too but a Halfords one, which I'm guessing isn't the best.
I've been trickle charging the battery when I can but, where before it would start first time instantly, it now labours before starting (and resets my odometer - annoying!).
Anyone recommend a good replacement battery for a V6?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Changing the Radio wiring solve most of the GTV battery problems. My battery would be flat if the car stood for a week after changing the radio wiring it can stand for more than a month and still start.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts