Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Decided to start work finding the cause of my battery drain (picked the coldest day yet for it).

It was pulling 1.8 amp and turned out to be a puddle light but is still pulling 180mA and can't figure out where from. I've tried all fuses & the usual suspects but still no luck. Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have you tried a fuse replacement device that measures current draw? I found it was the light in the roof shorted pulling it down at about .5 amp. The device points you in the right direction of drain....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a fuse replacement device that measures current draw? I found it was the light in the roof shorted pulling it down at about .5 amp. The device points you in the right direction of drain....
Could you explain what that is? Thanks

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Is it pulling the 180mA after the alarm is set and everything has settled down.

Once the car is locked and alarm set it does take some time for the draw to drop to the usually more acceptable 40 ish mA.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here you go.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43060-Blade-Automotive-Tester/dp/B000TOBQKK
Pull the fuse, put "false fuse" in it's place and the current draw is shown on the display. In my case I went through the fusebox until I found the circuit that was pulling current even though the car was "off' and nothing turned on. Can't remember the fuse number but it was the interior light circuit... looked further and found a short in the switch. Job done no more flat battery!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
A multimeter, that I presume Jake used, and that most of us own, would do the same wouldn't it?

·
Registered
497 Posts
A multimeter, that I presume Jake used, and that most of us own, would do the same wouldn't it?
Yes but it's a PITA holding the prongs in on the fusebox especially if you want to close the door, lock the car and peer through the window to see what happens to the current draw when the car goes to "sleep". I found a cable on Amazon that uses a "false fuse" with regular multimeter connections that you could use.
I guess you could make a "fuse" and solder some tags on to clip the leads to... as ever a few options to do the same job.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed I have been using a multimeter on the battery in the boot and just tricking it think it's closed, though not sure it matters? The alarm has been disconnected and even after a few minutes it doesn't drop although I have just been checking with the car unlocked maybe I should reconnect the alarm and try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts