Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have looked long and hard for an answer before this post but without success ...

Im a recent Gtv purchaser and despite only using my current stereo when stationary :D i am indeed gonna upgrade this weekend.

Im cool with removing, replacing, fascias etc but have concerns over disconnecting the battery neg lead whilst doing so incase of immobiliser/alarm/ key code problems on reconnecting ..?? :confused:

Am i likely to experience any or am i worrying for nowt ? Its not a big install (just block to block connector) so is it better to just suffer a spark and connect it up live instead ? ? :confused:

Any comments appreciated

W

·
0 Posts
I've never bothered to disconnect the battery when messing with stereos....but I suppose the advise would be to do so ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
343 Posts
Likewise, I'm the same as Wrinx. Didn't have any problems doing my install and didn't disconnect the battery.

(I think I was more worried about getting problems after reconnecting it!!)

R

·
0 Posts
There's no need to disconnect it, the plugs are insulated anyway and are designed to be easy to fit. I've fitted countless stereo's and never once disconnected the battery, well on modern cars anyway as they all have push in universal connectors. Old cars can be a bit more fun :lol:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i too have never disconnected the battery before if im honest but ive never owned an AR before either and what with the constant reminder of electrical probs from some mates, I didnt wanna give them any unnecessary pleasure that they clearly lack from driving their Bmw's / Focus's !! :D

Appreciate your time

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had total battery failure on my GTV 2.0 TS a couple of weeks ago.
Replaced it myself with new one from National Tyres ( £51.00). No problems at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too replaced the battery on my Spider 2.0 TS. No problems whatsoever. Just remember to have the radio code to hand when you re-connect and switch on the radio.
I used the 'blipper' OK. I assume that re-sets itself too.
On one of my others, with multiple 'blippers', they should each be used within a few seconds in order for the unit to remember each of them following disconnection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts