Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RIP my Giulietta's original battery.

Started the car this morning and it started fine, except the passenger airbag decided to switch itself off.

Drove to work, went out at dinner time to switch the airbag back on and after the car wouldn't turn over.

Luckily there was someone there with a set of jump leads.

The original battery is was just over 5 years old, I don't think that was too bad a life?

My dad bought an 096 calcium battery for his BMW but didn't get around to fitting it before he sold it. I know it is a regular battery (Not the recommended Exide stop/start compatible one) but if the car is ok other than the stop start working then it will be staying on there.

It has better cranking ability than the original as well as being higher capacity.

Shall report back how it goes, but a new battery for free is better than one for £130 even if it isn't exactly correct. :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
5 years is a good innings, mines a similar age and stop start has been exceptionally flaky this winter so I'm just waiting for the same fate :)

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure it won't be long, although you may make it through the summer.

I was shocked at how quickly it went. Apart from the stop start not working at all since the Autumn it has been fine otherwise.

One day it was fine, the next it was completely dead. Normally you get a bit more warning, like slow cranking etc...

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
My G is June 2011 and on its original battery. Did 600 miles (500 long distance, 100 relatively local) up to Edinburgh and back in the last two days and S/S is still not working. :depressed: I think I may have to budget for a replacement before the summer holiday. :paperbag:

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well a quick update.

Despite me using the wrong (Standard calcium battery, £52 from GSF originally) the stop start is working fine.

I am now having to turn it off again manually. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sudden battery death

I bought my 170 about a year ago and S/S never worked (not a problem...). Then after sitting on the drive for a few days in the autumn, battery died. A jump start sorted it but then it happened again a month or so later. Replaced the battery with a similar spec Bosch one (about £55) and all was fine. S/S started to work again for a short period and then stopped working again, I assume it was too cold in the winter for it. Now the weather has warmed up again and still doesn't work, although I notice the momentary drop of revs when I reach a set of lights.
Could something more sinister be working in the background to discharge the battery...?

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been numerous stop start not working threads and the general concesus is that if you want it to work reliably then you need a certain type of Varta battery which costs around £120

I would guess that your car and battery are fine, but because it isn't a correct stop start type battery the stop start isn't kicking in (The ecu montors several parameters so that the engine isn't cut unless it is certain to restart).

As long as the car starts fine at the beginning of your journey and you are happy not to have the stop start working then I am sure it will be fine for your needs.

There isn't anything special about the OE battery from what I can tell, it appears to be a regular lead acid type.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
no, the original battery is AGM.

12.52v is mine right now, which correponds to 80% charge for AGM. I didn't wait for every computer to go back to sleep after unlocking the car and opening the drivers door( which primes the TCT pump) so the voltage likely reads a bit higher if truely without load.

1 way to make absolutely sure: AGM doesn't leak when turned over...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts