Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since getting home from work last friday (and noticing coolant reservoir cap lost).the GT has been sat outside under a few cm of snow waiting for new cap to arrive.

Quickly opened the door and turned the key last night, pondered but turned over and started - i didnt let it run, just locked it up again.

Tried again tonight, turned over then died - batteries all but gone. Batts as old as the car so 2008, im guessing its on its way out, but four days surprised me even in this cold weather.

Aside from buy some jump leads tomorrow, any advice on why its lost charge so fast (no bluetooth device) and also where's good to source a new battery?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Battery capacity diminishes with age. At 4 years old, yours is probably down to a fraction of its original capacity. Then you have reduced activity thanks to the cold. Starting it the previous night probably used up most of what was left - shame you didn't leave it running for 10mins to replace some of the charge. Short answer : recharge the battery on a charger, but expect to replace it ASAP if you want reliable cold starting. Jump leads, be careful - you can cause surges that can damage fragile electronics. Unless it's an emergency, a charger is a better bet.

IME cheap weird-brand batteries tend to be short-life junk. Bosch, Varta/Yuasa, Exide etc are worth the extra. MDS are quick and relatively cheap for Yuasa, which are excellent Replacement Motorcycle Batteries, UPS, TomTom, Camcorder & Duracell Batteries - MDS Battery

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery capacity diminishes with age. At 4 years old, yours is probably down to a fraction of its original capacity. Then you have reduced activity thanks to the cold. Starting it the previous night probably used up most of what was left - shame you didn't leave it running for 10mins to replace some of the charge. Short answer : recharge the battery on a charger, but expect to replace it ASAP if you want reliable cold starting. Jump leads, be careful - you can cause surges that can damage fragile electronics. Unless it's an emergency, a charger is a better bet.

IME cheap weird-brand batteries tend to be short-life junk. Bosch, Varta/Yuasa, Exide etc are worth the extra. MDS are quick and relatively cheap for Yuasa, which are excellent Replacement Motorcycle Batteries, UPS, TomTom, Camcorder & Duracell Batteries - MDS Battery
OK cheers, I'll drop by Halfords tonight and pick up a charger then - I assume I'll be able to find what voltage battery it is in the manual or on the batt itself. Not overly impressed at the prospect of buying a charger AND a new battery in the next few months!

G

·
0 Posts
Just don't fall into the trap that everyone else does... fit a new battery and assume thats it, job done...
Always, always a cause to a problem so get to a local tyre and exhaust centre.... Many of them provide a FREE BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR HEALTH CHECK... Abuse it, it's free!
A battery is only as good as it's charging system.... I would hate to think that after 2weeks maximum you are back in the same situation for the sake of a simple five minute check:thumbs:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just don't fall into the trap that everyone else does... fit a new battery and assume thats it, job done...
Always, always a cause to a problem so get to a local tyre and exhaust centre.... Many of them provide a FREE BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR HEALTH CHECK... Abuse it, it's free!
A battery is only as good as it's charging system.... I would hate to think that after 2weeks maximum you are back in the same situation for the sake of a simple five minute check:thumbs:
Good advice mate, to be honest it's 34500 miles so due its 36k/belt/pump service soon anyway - I'll charge the battery, keep an eye on it, and if the problems still there I'll raise it with Alfa Tecnico to have a look when they do the other work.

Thing is, the car was sat for quite some time in the cold before buying, we're talking a couple of months potentially. Battery was low when I went to see it, but because of that I thought nothing of it really. Did a 70mile run home from buying, then since it's been 12 miles at a time max - I'm don't know the technical details of batteries but I'm wondering if it took a complete zonking over christmas inactive in the cold, it's maybe never properly charged again since?

Looking at this anyone see any reason why it may not be appropriate? Only issue being there's no power point available outside where the car's parked so i'm going to have to take the battery out to charge it (hopefully not a big job)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We use these on our vans at work.
Solar Powered 12V 2.4W Battery Trickle Charger : Solar Trickle Chargers : Maplin Electronics
They often stand outside in the cold for days at a time and we had issues with starting etc... Since last winter after fitting these to all the vans, no more problems:thumbs:
I think if it was going to be left for significant periods of time I'd definitely have a look at that, but really it being left for four days and flat needs a more direct solution - I think as was said above if there's an issue it needs diagnosing, but I suspect the battery itself is 4yr old and now just a bit rubbish. It's also probably not been fully charged after being sat for months in the cold.

If I take the battery out tonight, aside from having to enter the CD player code what other issues am I going to cause?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starting to think: I'm taking this battery out and spending £25 on a charger to then replace battery further down the line, I may as well just buy a new battery and be done with it surely?!

I've seen people slate Halfords for battery prices, anyone recommend where to get one at a more reasonable price (today ideally)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
^^that would be my opinion too after 4+ years, mebee try a local motor factor?, mine always works out reasonable for parts.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
While you're there : Halfords batteries are good quality, specially the heavy-duty/calcium ones, but they used to be a cheap supplier and now they cost as much as good branded batteries. Expect £85-£110.

A charger is sooner or later pretty much essential for anyone running a car and a basic 4-5amp one should be cheap (£20 or so) and last forever. Though reading this forum it seems like Alfa should supply them hardwired into the cars :). And do charge the new battery before putting it into service if at all possible. Although they're sold charged or dry charged, they're usually only around half/two-thirds charged by the time you get them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did exactly that in the end, wanted a Bosch but they were out of stock and to be honest having not had use of the car since Friday I opted for one of the Halfords ones in the end having read the more recent reviews were much improved. If it turns out to be a mistake, well, I'll cross that bridge - but I wanted it sorted yesterday, enough was enough.

So stood outside in minus two, torch in my mouth, and changed my first ever car battery! Started purring like a kitten soon as the new one was sorted, so money well spent for me ;-)

Going to buy a charger anyway, charge the old Alfa one and try sell it or get rid somehow - I'm sure someone can make use of it.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
See if the old one will actually take a charge, sometimes when they die, it can be terminal...

I've kept my old one as a standby, it just takes a full charge...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See if the old one will actually take a charge, sometimes when they die, it can be terminal...

I've kept my old one as a standby, it just takes a full charge...
Well it lit the dash etc, but the window motors and starter motor barely turned so it's pretty low. I'll give it a charge and see what happens, keep it as a back up maybe like you say.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sounds like it's had it to me. The only place you can dispose of it safely and legally is at your local council recycling centre or recognised independent recycling site. Put it in the lead acid battery container and it will be stripped and recycled.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Good :) Now, if you have a multimeter, stick it across the battery terminals whilst the engine is running and verify that you have a healthy 13.5-14.3v. This will verify that the alternator is charging OK. Because as others said upthread, if it's defective you'll soon fine yourself with a flat battery again.

At 4yrs, the old battery will be pretty much scrap. Round here there's no need to take it to the tip for recycling, just leaving it in the front yard guarantees it will disappear for the scrap value thanks to the metal fairies (tattooed gents in old Transit trucks).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts