Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just a simple question. I want to fit one of these (probably Ctek) to my QV and will have to disconnect the battery to do this. Is that going to cause any problems with the car electronics?
Ta
Alan

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi,
Just a simple question. I want to fit one of these (probably Ctek) to my QV and will have to disconnect the battery to do this. Is that going to cause any problems with the car electronics?
Ta
Alan
My experience was that every warning light on the dash came on after reconnecting the battery, but these went of after a couple of starts.
My biggest problem was getting the negative terminal off to connect the flying lead. Had to take the battery out, a right pita.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I just use the crocodile clips CTEK provided whenever I wanted to charge the battery. I did not see the point of connecting the round flying leads permanently. But yeah if you completely remove the battery, on reconnecting you will get warning on the dash includid start stop unavailable. After about 1 start cycle most warnings disappear, after a few more start cycles everything goes back to normal. The IBS will enter recalibration phase and SS will not work for some time, maybe the HRW too.

Remember to reset the electric steering wheel after every battery reconnect. For this make sure car is on a level ground and turn the wheel all the way full lock to left hold for a few seconds (say about 5) and all the way full lock to the right for few seconds and then return the steering to the middle. Procedure is described in the owners manual I think.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
My biggest problem was getting the negative terminal off to connect the flying lead. Had to take the battery out, a right pita.
There's no reason to take off the negative terminal (actually didn't even disconnect the battery ;) ), you can just connect the charger to any ground point, see :

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll use the crocodile clips!

·
Registered
823 Posts
There's no reason to take off the negative terminal (actually didn't even disconnect the battery ;) ), you can just connect the charger to any ground point, see :
I thought the handbook said different, will read it again.

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
I like what @jwq has done as well. That would help with a quick connector permanently available.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
I thought the handbook said different, will read it again.
No, it's the same as in the handbook, though it's written in a difficult way ;)
All users are of course referenced to ground in a car, as are f.i. the jump terminals under the hood .... ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
No, it's the same as in the handbook, though it's written in a difficult way ;)
All users are of course referenced to ground in a car, as are f.i. the jump terminals under the hood .... ;)
That's exactly what I did with my CTEK MX 5.0.
Been charging it occasionally that way for 2 + years now and I leave it connected if the car is parked up for over 2 weeks.
Never had any battery related issues or warning lights, however I have stop start permanently off using Epsonix excellent box of tricks! (y)

·
Registered
823 Posts
That's exactly what I did with my CTEK MX 5.0.
Been charging it occasionally that way for 2 + years now and I leave it connected if the car is parked up for over 2 weeks.
Never had any battery related issues or warning lights, however I have stop start permanently off using Epsonix excellent box of tricks! (y)
I have followed the same routine as you for the last 18 months with my Veloce and CTEK and did loads of miles over the days before my battery decided to drop to 6 volts overnight.
There is no logic to it and when I asked the tech how many of these he'd been to he diplomatically replied "it's not the first".

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
I have followed the same routine as you for the last 18 months with my Veloce and CTEK and did loads of miles over the days before my battery decided to drop to 6 volts overnight.
There is no logic to it and when I asked the tech how many of these he'd been to he diplomatically replied "it's not the first".
Of course there is still the possibility, as in the past, that the battery just fails ;) That has always been the case. Some people are lucky, some not so much....
I think the Varta EFB batteries should have a warranty of at least 2 years.....
Varta warranty

Would probably be a good idea to switch to AGM (in stead of oem EFB) when current battery dies ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Of course there is still the possibility, as in the past, that the battery just fails ;) That has always been the case. Some people are lucky, some not so much....

V
My battery is in perfect condition according to the tech. The best he could come up with was that various operations, over which the driver has no control, systematically shut themselves down when the ignition is turned off and occasionally, one of them fails to do so and quickly runs the battery down.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
My battery is in perfect condition according to the tech. The best he could come up with was that various operations, over which the driver has no control, systematically shut themselves down when the ignition is turned off and occasionally, one of them fails to do so and quickly runs the battery down.
ok, fair enough ...

·
Registered
823 Posts
So just to clarify jwq, logically, the positive lead is connected to the easily accessible positive terminal, as clearly shown in your photos, but rather than scrabble around gaining access to the negative terminal, any good ground will do.
Pretty straight forward until the handbook unnecessarily starts talking about the IBS.
Thanks for your help.

CB

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
So just to clarify jwq, logically, the positive lead is connected to the easily accessible positive terminal, as clearly shown in your photos, but rather than scrabble around gaining access to the negative terminal, any good ground will do.
Pretty straight forward until the handbook unnecessarily starts talking about the IBS.
Thanks for your help.

CB
Correct :)
Simply connecting negative of charger to any ground will assure charging current is accounted for by IBS, which is what you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts