Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Battery Clamp Strap Length

308 6
Bought a new battery that has the 174w/190h recommended dimension, and the strap's too short (the old battery's 175mm high). I read somewhere on this forum that there are two strap lengths available, but I haven't been able to verify that.

Got any advice? Thanks!

2005 147 2.0 TS
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just been though this whole process with my GT 3.2v6. The recommendations on pretty much every website I tried say 190mm height. My old battery was a 190mm. Yes it will fit without the strap but it does push up the induction hose and causes the wire leading off the battery to be smushed. In addition my induction hose was showing wear where it was touching. I decided to go with a 175mm battery and to me the fit is exactly how it should be. No pushing, everything lays in well. Oddly Amazon specifically warned me that a 242x175x175 would NOT fit my car and steered me to the 190s.

I cannot verify different lenght straps but certainly have never heard of different lengths. I do plan to find a new strap from the breakers at some point though.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I've always used 065 batteries on Twinspark 156s regardless of engine size or emissions spec. Height: 175mm.
I've upgraded the 027 in the JTS to AGM. Height: 190mm.

I've never thought about height as the fit has always been perfect.

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My strap's the same, of course:
Plant Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Font

The 190mm tall Varta Silver MF55559 that I first tried ('cuz the store's website incorrectly said 175mm) didn't fit, but the 190m tall Hankook EFB 56010 did, due to the angled slot under the battery's handle.
Font Gas Electronic device Technology Machine

Computer hardware Gas Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Bumper

And yeah, I drove off without replacing the positive terminal fuse cover last week. 😑

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Mine (Sport Q2 147) is adjustable, at the fixed end. Only the inboard end is stitched, the other loops through the anchorage and back on itself.
Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle door Cable Electric blue

The car originally had an Exide 096TE/EA722 which is 175mm high (x 278L x 175W). I now use a slightly greater capacity/CCA Exide 067TE/ EA770, which is 190mm high (same L & W). As the mathematically-inclined might guess, this requires the strap to be 2x15=30mm longer. Adjusting the strap takes seconds.

This is the absolute largest battery I can fit on my diesel, I have to squeeze the top boost hose a little for clearance while fitting it- but once in place there's plenty of space. If it doesn't fit, you can rotate the hose a little. YMMV with petrol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts