Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is very simple:

Sould I take the battery off the car to charge it, or should i leave it in the car, connect whilst being charged?

My battery seems a bit duff but want to give it a charge just to see if my short journeys recently have just drained it a bit too much.

Regards
Gareth

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Leave it in the car if you can, just disconnect the leads and allow for ventilation. There is a ventilation tube which
should vent any hydrogen produced.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers.

I am always worried with alarms / immobilisers that they will reset themselves and the car will never start again! I presume from your response this will not be a problem :)

I just have the standard red key alarm so hopefully your right. Will try tonight.

Regards
Gareth

R

·
0 Posts
I am always worried with alarms / immobilisers that they will reset themselves and the car will never start again! I presume from your response this will not be a problem :)
Immobilisor should not cause any problems, but the alarm might. Mine armed itself after a recent battery change. Now this would not be a problem, except I have never had any fobs......

Fortunately, the alarm is very easy to remove. Im not recommending this, but I always used to trickle charge the old battery with it in place, and the leads still connected. Only precaution was to keep the boot lid slightly open. Never caused any problems at all.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I charged my battery while still connected and had no problems. Remember to turn the boot light off while you charge otherwise it's yet another current drain...

I needed to charge my battery to start the car to be able to drive to the shop to buy a new one!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have also charged batteries that were still connected without causing any harm (as far as I know).
This also means you do not have to worry about re-setting codes, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts