Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i thought as its now winter and cold and i'm going to be doing lots of short runs over crimbo i would charge the battery up on the 159 jtdm, but lots of you seem to run into problems when you do this so i was thinking would i be better off taking it for a long ish run during the day with everything turned off (electricals that is) or am i just being overly worried here and just bung it on charge ??? If anybody has any tips along the lines of as long as you XYZ it'll be fine that would be great !!! Just to point out my previous car was a skyline so the biggest problem i ever had with the battery with that was having to re put the radio code in when i replaced it thats it !!! I'm not having any battery related issues its just something i've always done come winter !!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your being overly paranoid.

Unless your literally doing walkable distances 5 times a day, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Where I suspect most people have a problem with charging their car is because these days cars are never really 'off', hence trickle chargers have a tendency to pop with unerring regularity. Because the minute you say, insert the key into the slot, theres a drain on the battery and it tries to draw more than the 5amp's that your trickle charger can provide.

Also you don't need to drive around with the electrics off, in order to charge the battery. Your alternator (and indeed almost all alternators) are designed to provide more power than the car requires at any given moment. Ie if i'm driving around and need to turn the lights on, the minute i turn the lights on, the alternator increases it's output in response)

What i'd say to you is...over the xmas period, just leave it..see what happens, worst comes to the worst, then yeah trickle charge it...but take the negative terminal off, which is very easy, just flick the clip and pop it off

You'll have to reset your date and time when you reattach it, but other than that...

But honestly, you don't need to keep it on charge all the time

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok thanks for that i think you are right and i'm being overly paranoid ......... i'm going to be doing lots of kinda 15 - 20 min runs ... I'll just leave it and deal with it if anything happens, thanks for replying

·
Registered
238 Posts
my previous car was a skyline so the biggest problem i ever had with the battery with that was
... the fact that they fitted the battery from a toy car as standard. Been there (R33 GTS), fitted something bigger.

The battery in the Alfa isn't great but it should withstand the use you're describing fairly well. The battery will charge by itself in about 15 minutes of normal driving, irrespective of what accessories are being used.

If you need to top-up the charge because it's been left for some time without being driven, I can recomend CTek battery conditioners. Fit and forget. I have one on the TVR and a 6 volt one on the kids electric car! www.ctek.com

Ian A.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I regularly charge the battery up on my 2.2 Brera throughout the winter as it has longish periods of none use.

It's a very simple operation thanks to the quick release clamps and the only item I have ever had to reset is the auto window feature.

Still on the original battery which is now almost six years old.

Hmmm! think I might go and put it on charge now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL i put a bigger battery on my R33 too but it still seemed to run down fast, saying that if there was any snow on the ground it didn't go anywhere at all !!!!

Cheers Ian i'll look into those ctek conditioners

I think i'll leave it for now though if it only takes 15 mins ish to charge its self then i shouldn't have a problem ......fingers crosses

Thanks again for the replies Merry Christmas chaps ....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
CTEK are brilliant - got one plumed in to my Spider via a flying lead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts