Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My habit is to keep both my iPhone and laptop connected to power whenever possible.
So when at home I usually keep my phone and laptop charging, then take them both to work and reconnect to power while at work.
Am I doing the right thing to maximise battery life or not?

I recently bought a "new" second hand MacBook Pro, which showed 30 cycles for the battery in the system info. Having followed the above charging protocol since June 22 (so about 16 weeks daily use) it now shows 46 cycles, making 1 charging cycle per week, which sounds good to me.

Is this right and is it good policy for the phone too?

Look forward to definitive answers from AO's battery gurus! :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,103 Posts
I'm sticking to this: https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/ - partial charging, disconnect between 80/90% charge, try not to run completely flat. No overnight charging.

What’s the best way to charge your smartphone?

• Avoid full cycle (zero-100 percent) and overnight charging. Instead, top-up your phone more regularly with partial charges.
  • Ending a charge at 80 percent is better for the battery than topping all the way up to 100 percent.
  • Use fast charging technologies sparingly and never overnight.
  • Heat is the battery killer. Don’t cover your phone when charging and keep it out of hot places.
  • Turn your phone off when charging, or at least don’t play games or watch videos to avoid mini-cycles.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Not sure I get the above? (I'm not disregarding it BTW)
If it was best practice to only charge a battery to 80% then I'd have thought that would have been built into the charging capabilities of the phone? And not running them out?......yes, with old Ni-Cd batteries where a memory could be formed but I'm not sure that applies to Li battery tech does it?

I've never had any issues charging to 100%. The starting point though changes from 0 to whenever I feel/remember to bung it on charge.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. :)
There does seem to be a lot of conflicting/vague/ambiguous advice out there on this.

I think I'll keep on doing what I have been doing unless someone can explain to me clearly why I shouldn't.
It seemed to work well giving long and healthy battery life on my last phone and laptop.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Pretty much everything modern out there has a battery management system that does everything for you. BMS charges the battery, then stops charging, and simply powers the device. No problems leaving an iPhone charging overnight. NiCd systems of about 1999 vintage used to fry the batteries when left connected.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much everything modern out there has a battery management system that does everything for you. BMS charges the battery, then stops charging, and simply powers the device. No problems leaving an iPhone charging overnight. NiCd systems of about 1999 vintage used to fry the batteries when left connected.
Yes, that's what I thought...
... but I'd seen a message from apple re something to do with the software learning charging habits and only charging above 80% when really needed..

... also the mini-cycles issue confuses me a bit: if I have the phone on charge at 100% and disconnect it from power to take a call, is it then a bad idea to reconnect to power after the call, or would it then be better to leave the phone on battery power until it goes down to about 20% before recharging..?

I don't suppose it matters that much...;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts