Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suspecting my alternator is about to die, I got this message on the dash yesterday, I guess the 400 mile drive back to Edinburgh finished it off coupled with the cold weather here.

There goes £500 or so... :(

If I keep the revs over 2000 it does go away, so there is a small chance that it may be the battery, but that was changed July 2009 so doubt it....

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, just says battery charge low with a picture of the battery. I've got the RAC coming out to me this afternoon to diagnose.. I'm really hoping its the battery....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Is the alternator unique for a GTA? If not try looking for a different spare part. Or you might also find somebody doing re manufacturing. Might be as good as new afterwards.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The alternator is the cheap part, it the fitting that is an absolute nightmare... :(

Having said that I have no issue reconditioning the one I have... let's see what RAC guy says... more on this later.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confirmed, alternator failure....

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If you want to bs sneaky get aa cover and pay the extra £40 for their breakdown warranty. They pay out up to £500...

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did think about this, but I think there was a limit on the mileage the car has done before you sign up.... mine's on 114k!

Think I'll just take the hit on the nose, it'll be going to Mclennans next week.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have actually set up an account on my online banking now which is called "GTA SINKING FUND"

At least if I specifically put £150 aside each month I know there is always a pot for this stuff when it comes up. Probably isn't enough though lol

M

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear this.....I know it's not a cheap fix with the labour involved, but I hope you get her back on the road soon:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts