Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, from the advice I have received and read about on the forums about ABS / VDC Failure messages, I changed my battery in the hope of getting rid of my ABS/VDC Failure messages, but it has not seemed to work for me!!!!. :cry:

I have checked the battery and Iam getting 14.4 v across the new batterys terminals when the engine is running. The thing is when I switch off the car and start it again this clears the fault, even when I start to drive off no fault codes appear, but as soon as I press the brake pedal the dreaded chimes and failure messages pop up.

1. Do the codes have to be cleared by a mechanic after a battery change or should the power down of the system during battery change have done this?

2. Any Ideas on what to try or do next?

3. Is ABS / VDC failure a MOT failure?

Cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership I bought the car from said the garage they use did a diagnostics on the car but no codes came up. As the fault appeared when I picked the car up.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
No probs, there is no point in me telling you oh its the abs sensor or what ever when if you check for fault codes we have an idea of the direction we should be looking...

Might be worth posting a question in you local section asking if anyone has a lead and software...And if there willing to come to your aid???
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/north-west/

A

·
0 Posts
Try checking the cables that lead in and out of the ABS/VDC computer.
I unplugged one of them by mistake when I changed my battery and I had the same fault, no codes, just the ABS/VDC computer was offline, the tester could not even connect to it.

A

·
0 Posts
Somewhere near the passanger's side, where the battery is. I marked it in the picture, but I am not exactly sure as I have a different engine and the computers are placed in different places.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you tried disconnecting the battery, cleaning the main earth to the inner wing and disconnecting the ABS at the yellow plugs, give the contacts a good clean and re-connect it all back up?

You may be wasting your time trying to reset it, if the terminals are corroded/dirty. Often, that's all that is needed and it usually clears after half a mile driving... Just a thought m8 to save a bit money ;)
http://www.alfisti.co.uk/currenta-z.htm
"A.B.S

The most common faults are speed sensors unplugged and dirty connections on the ECU. Under the rear seats are the 2 connectors for the rear speed sensors, unplug clean and refit. Under the bonnet by the front struts are the front connectors, again unplug clean and refit Pull the pin from the main wiring loom plug which plugs into the abs pump (also contains the ECU) 9 times from ten a squirt of wd40 onto the pump terminals and refit the plug will cure it. Any more than that will unfortunately result in a trip to the dealer, as a computer is required to communicate with the abs ECU. If the fault is cured then a 100yard drive will put the light out "

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned all the connectors but still received the failure messages, but may have had a bit of a result, as I washed my car yesterday including the wheels and so far have not had any ABS VDC failure messages!!!:) Fingers crossed my ABS/VDC issues were just dirty wheel sensors. Anyone else with this problem, give your wheels a good blast with a hose, could be dirty sensors:thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts