Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The battery in my 51 plate 156 is flat. I jump started it and drove for 40 minutes, then parked up. About half an hour later, the battery had insufficient power to turn the engine over, though all of the dashboard lights, etc were bright and clear. On trying to start the engine, these lights went out and returned once I let go of the key.

The alternator warning light is not illuminating when the engine's running, so I assume the battery is not taking a charge.

Are there any tricks or special procedures I need to be aware of before I swap it out for a new one?

Just as an aside, the engine management light came on earlier this week and stayed on for a few days but went out. A diagnostic check showed "knock sensor". This may have been contaminated/condensated fuel as I have been running it close to empty on a few occasions.

Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
If the battery was completely flat a 40m run wont have got anywhere near charging the battery.
Best take it off the car and charge it properly.

No tricks, except make sure you have the code for the radio if its the original

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi all,

The battery in my 51 plate 156 is flat. I jump started it and drove for 40 minutes, then parked up. About half an hour later, the battery had insufficient power to turn the engine over, though all of the dashboard lights, etc were bright and clear. On trying to start the engine, these lights went out and returned once I let go of the key.

The alternator warning light is not illuminating when the engine's running, so I assume the battery is not taking a charge.

Are there any tricks or special procedures I need to be aware of before I swap it out for a new one?

Just as an aside, the engine management light came on earlier this week and stayed on for a few days but went out. A diagnostic check showed "knock sensor". This may have been contaminated/condensated fuel as I have been running it close to empty on a few occasions.

Thanks.
battery probably duff but do get charging system checked should show 14v approx under load and stop running fuel so low otherwise youll bugger ya fuel pump up(needs fuel to cool it) oh and welcome :cheese:

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Little tip...Alfa's hate dodgy batteries....play havoc with electrics,warning lights,immobiliser..get a new one :thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Always disconnect the negative first when removing and put it back on last when fitting a new battery.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Also rather than putting the negative clamp on the dead cars battery, stick it on the dip stick pipe (metal bit)

Safer! :)

Danny, because you otherwise risk shorting the car out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks.

Checked all the connections and cables and they were sound.

I don't have a multimeter but the local tyre bay (where I was taking the car for a new tyre also) do free battery checks so they did the business for me. Battery dead as a dead thing whilst everything else was healthy.

Several quids lighter, the car is back on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts