Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start my Spider this morning but it looks like the battery has died. It's been in for several years so I suspect it will need replacing. The question is I am not going to be using the Spider for a couple of weeks as I'm due in hospital for a minor operation on Monday. Also it's snowed in so I'm not going to be able to get it to a garage to have a new battery fitted. So my question is, are there any problems in just leaving with a flat battery until I'm fit to sort it or should I jump start it and let the engine turnover for a while to get it charged up and then get the wife to run it for 15 minutes every couple of days?

Being totally non mechanical I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
better to by a battery charger, give it a really good charge and then start it every couple of days, jump starting it will be difficult and ud need to keep it above 2000 revs for ages to get any amount of charge into it,....that said if you have been using it and the battery has died it probably needs a new battery (cold weather exposes weak batteries), so actually dont bother buying a charger just get a new battery they come fully charged.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,391 Posts
better to by a battery charger, give it a really good charge and then start it every couple of days, jump starting it will be difficult and ud need to keep it above 2000 revs for ages to get any amount of charge into it,....that said if you have been using it and the battery has died it probably needs a new battery (cold weather exposes weak batteries), so actually dont bother buying a charger just get a new battery they come fully charged.
As the battery is almost certain to be replaced I don't think I would worry too much about it.

There is one thing in in msgtv's comment that I would like to address though. You DON'T need to rev over 2K to get a decent charge into the battery, I did a lot of careful measurements on this last year. Assuming that the Alternator is working correctly you get a good charge into the battery at any revs, in fact, bizarrely as it may seem, you get SLIGHTLY MORE charge on tickover !!!

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
You could invest in a solar charger as long as the car is not going to be kept in a dark garage...

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
As the battery is almost certain to be replaced I don't think I would worry too much about it.

There is one thing in in msgtv's comment that I would like to address though. You DON'T need to rev over 2K to get a decent charge into the battery, I did a lot of careful measurements on this last year. Assuming that the Alternator is working correctly you get a good charge into the battery at any revs, in fact, bizarrely as it may seem, you get SLIGHTLY MORE charge on tickover !!!
Thats interesting, perhaps im a bit out of date, i was told some years ago by an rac man that the alternator didn't supply a charge until 2k ish, we live and learn:)

·
16,391 Posts
Thats interesting, perhaps im a bit out of date, i was told some years ago by an rac man that the alternator didn't supply a charge until 2k ish, we live and learn:)
Certainly true now. Until I spent some time checking this out I would have said the same but the DMM does not lie !!!!!! :)

Oddly though my 1982 Alfetta GTV6 is the same, more or less a constant rate of charge whatever the revs although if I load up with every thing this does drop slightly into a negative charge situation.

Stuart, I have a Solar Charger and they will not charge a battery as flat as the OP's is. I know that in decent light it does give a healthy 15 - 25 Volts output but at very low current. I use it in the TS and consider it the same as my Anti Elephant Powder, never been bothered by an elephant around here and not yet had any battery problems........... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
Sorry Nige, getting ahead of myself there, the advice was assuming he got the battery fully charged first..:eek:....glad to see your "on the ball" today....:)

·
16,391 Posts
Sorry Nige, getting ahead of myself there, the advice was assuming he got the battery fully charged first..:eek:....glad to see your "on the ball" today....:)
Morning Stuart, snowed in yet ???

I'm unsure about the Solar Charger thing, I have it constantly connected unless I'm out on a drive and I know it provides a decent amount of Volts even in poor ish light, but only at a few milliamps.

Has it done any good ? I dunno. I suppose that if it provides enough charge to replace what is used by the clock it's worth it, doesn't exactly cost much to run !!! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick replies. I've managed to get it jump started and left it running for 20 mins or so. We'll start it everyday until the weather improves enough to get it down to my friendly mechanic just to confirm it's not the alternator. I may also invest in clever battery boosting things.

·
16,391 Posts
Can i ask what charger you have Nige?
:thumbs: Just a cheapo of eBay, think it cost less than £15 delivered. I have it velcro-ed to the rear shelf and hide the lead for most of it's route to the Cig Lighter where I leave it plugged in. Be careful with this though as some Cig Lighters are Ignition Switched, if so this obviously wont work !

It did come with another lead with battery clips so there is a bit of choice without much work.

As I said though, whether or not it does much good I can't honestly say.

·
16,391 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I've managed to get it jump started and left it running for 20 mins or so. We'll start it everyday until the weather improves enough to get it down to my friendly mechanic just to confirm it's not the alternator. I may also invest in clever battery boosting things.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good New Jimmyss :)

:thumbs: Just a cheapo of eBay, think it cost less than £15 delivered. I have it velcro-ed to the rear shelf and hide the lead for most of it's route to the Cig Lighter where I leave it plugged in. Be careful with this though as some Cig Lighters are Ignition Switched, if so this obviously wont work !

It did come with another lead with battery clips so there is a bit of choice without much work.

As I said though, whether or not it does much good I can't honestly say.
I'm pretty sure ours is ignition switched, so i guess i'd have to run it thro to the battery somehow...bugger, i'm just too lazy

·
16,391 Posts
Good New Jimmyss :)

I'm pretty sure ours is ignition switched, so i guess i'd have to run it thro to the battery somehow...bugger, i'm just too lazy
:lol::lol::lol:

Go on, you know you want to. And it's ideal weather for working on the car. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts