Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been down to Kwik Fit for a free battery check...i know...no slagging please.

Here's the results:

battery test:
voltage 12.85 V
start capacity 44%
battery unserviceable

alternator test:
ripple ok
regul volt 13.92V good
regul temp >0oC

Voltmeter 13.94V

Kwikfit man opinion was that the battery was fine but that it wasn't so good at starting.

The only thing i've done to the battery previously is fill up the cells with proper battery water.

Is it time for a new battery with these results and if so,what price am i looking at ?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Well done for getting a free check mate, they are out there for everyone to use, not just batteries eitherand not just Kwikfit do them.

The question that you have to ask is: 44% starting capacity! Is the car starting ok?
If so then leave it for a while until it starts to struggle, then change it.....It could last three months, it could last another year at least.
A battery depending on the quality and price you pay can last anywhere between one year and seven years!
I have changed a battery that was original on a car from new that lasted nine years in the past!!!!
As long as your alternator is charging constantly and healthy, your battery will be ok, just don't change it for changing's sake, get your money's worth mate :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The voltage is good, but it needs the voltage checking after it has rested for some time for it to have any real meaning. It will be high at KwikFit because you have just driven there with it charging the whole way!

G

·
0 Posts
The voltage is good, but it needs the voltage checking after it has rested for some time for it to have any real meaning. It will be high at KwikFit because you have just driven there with it charging the whole way!
Not necessarily, A drop charge test is exactly what they would have done, they have the very same equipment as we use at our station (industry standard Gunnel ) and driving to a garage and testing right away has no effect what so ever to a start capacity percentage during an initial drop test and voltage constant reading compared to a cold start percentage (left for 12 hours or more) on our readings so I can't see it being any different on Kwikfit Gunnel equipment:thumbs:

Maybe if the alternator was charging below normal rates and the battery itself was also below normal rates, then a 12 hour delay would be required to a further resting drop charge... But in this case it would definately not be necessary due to the healthy state of the alternator charge and voltage regulation.

Kwikfit will unfortunately U/S a battery if it is below 50% automatically, something that I personally don't agree with but that's why I don't work for them!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to clarify then:

What should the normal healthy start capacity be ?

Why i'm asking is that sometimes she "struggles" to start...but always does,just with a few extra cranks...but this then seems to affect the electrics...the ABS warning light comes on periodically ( fixed by turning engine off and on again! )...and the fan heater can come on at fan speed 6.

I'm just worried about winter time

New battery time ?

Time for new battery...how much ??

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Batteries are a bit odd: Had a 147 1.6 & the original lasted 7 years, bought a 2 1/2 year old GT last year that had had a new battery that was causing a few electrical issues around the car. I've had a couple of 159's and they seem to be funny about batteries too - mostly mind you that the quick release on the -ve terminal is pushed down as far as it will go before returning the quick release lever. I read a few posts and two things stand out: make sure it is the right size battery (the holding strap should be a good fit, no slack), and generally Varta and Bosch have better reviews - better batteries may be?? (made at the same factory incidentally) than other makes - but they do cost a bit more. You might find them a bit cheaper in the summer too - retailers not cashing in on high demand in winter. But then I suppose it depends wether you intend to keep the car or not. I bought an S5 for mine - it was about £15 more but and all the little odd electrical glitches -warning lights, windows and so on just disappeared.

G

·
0 Posts
Just to clarify then:

What should the normal healthy start capacity be ?

Why i'm asking is that sometimes she "struggles" to start...but always does,just with a few extra cranks...but this then seems to affect the electrics...the ABS warning light comes on periodically ( fixed by turning engine off and on again! )...and the fan heater can come on at fan speed 6.

I'm just worried about winter time

New battery time ?

Time for new battery...how much ??
Well , like I said previously.... Anything over 50% start charge is acceptable...

However, since you have now stated that you are having issues starting, definately change the battery in that case...
There are plenty of makes of battery out there and vary greatly in price, usually down to the warranty period that they offer with them... All are pretty much the same but try and splash out a little extra for the peace of mind with a longer warranty.
Check your owners manual for the recommended Amp/hr "cranking power" requirements and go from there...
Don't replace like for like, you could be having issues with cranking simply because a previous owner has fitted a smaller (lesser Amp/hr) battery for cheapness.... So it's best to double check the manual first

IIRC it's either 50Ah standard or 60Ah with aircon/climate control fitted for a 1.6 ltr :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
For a 156 TS, if the strap can take a 190mm high battery, a Bosch S5005 is the one to go for.
I got one for £65 in Feb.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Well , like I said previously.... Anything over 50% start charge is acceptable...

However, since you have now stated that you are having issues starting, definately change the battery in that case...
There are plenty of makes of battery out there and vary greatly in price, usually down to the warranty period that they offer with them... All are pretty much the same but try and splash out a little extra for the peace of mind with a longer warranty.
Check your owners manual for the recommended Amp/hr "cranking power" requirements and go from there...
Don't replace like for like, you could be having issues with cranking simply because a previous owner has fitted a smaller (lesser Amp/hr) battery for cheapness.... So it's best to double check the manual first

IIRC it's either 50Ah standard or 60Ah with aircon/climate control fitted for a 1.6 ltr :thumbs:
Be careful because the figures that Alfa specify in the Handbook change over time: newer models are stating that heavier duty batteries are required. Check the newest version of Eper first.

G

·
0 Posts
Be careful because the figures that Alfa specify in the Handbook change over time: newer models are stating that heavier duty batteries are required. Check the newest version of Eper first.
Very good point Andy, Top tip:thumbs:... If in doubt check with the main dealer if you can't find the info...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts