Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a hand car wash the other day and when the chamois boy told me to inch forwards twice in two minutes the battery failed to start the car.

Maybe I'm being paranoid and the OEM 100aH beast just needed a few minutes to recover, but I've decided not to risk it given I'm going trans-europe in a couple of weeks and I've had my battery drain a couple of times this winter/ spring through utter lack of use.

So what new battery? The local place tried to fob me off with a 75aH thing from Numax but given the OEM in the boot is 100aH isn't that falling a bit short? Besides which, a 9V PP3 rattling around in that huge space just doesn't seem right. I saw a thread on here about Renault and Merc spec batteries; what's the latest opinion? Is Tayna a good place to pick one up?

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Find a friend with a Costco card and get a Bosch SilverTop from there.
I will be getting one this weekend - last time I went I got a 73AH for my VR6 for £45. They quoted me £70 or so for a bigger capacity one to suit the 3.0 V6. I'll let you know how much it turns out to be on Saturday.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
If the OE battery is 100aH, the replacement should be 100aH. As for makes, I can recommend Fiamm - the OE Fiamm battery on my wife's Peugeot 106 lasted a few weeks short of 10 years!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the OE battery is 100aH, the replacement should be 100aH
not necessarily, the original may have been overspecified. Online battery finders and motor factor reference books all seem to be offering 75 or even 70aH for an '01 3l 166.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If it helps any, I'm not sure the capacity in Ah is especially relevant for a car battery. It just means the battery can supply "x" Amps for an hour before it's flat. (I think it's a bit more complex inreality but it's basically just a measure of how much electricity it can hold).

I think a more relevant parameter would be a "CCA" figure if you can get one (Cold Cranking Amps). That's the maximum current it can supply at low temperature for a number of seconds - can't remember how many, but I think it's 30.

If it were a caravan or boat battery, the capacity in Ah would be more useful because that sort of battery has to supply low current for long periods between charges. Car batteries usually have to supply massive currents for very short periods whilst cranking and then as soon as the engine fires, they're continuously being charged by the alternator.

See if there's a "cranking" figure on your existing battery and get one that matches it. Obviously, as a general rule, the bigger the capacity of a car battery in Ah, the bigger it's cranking capacity is also likely to be - but that doesn't apply to other sorts of battery like caravan or boat "leisure" batteries.

Finally, if a car battery has been deeply discharged (run flat - especially in cold temperatures) it's likely to damage it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 100ah battery - mine is a JTD and it is soposed to be 100Ah. And it works perfectly - i can really feel the power when starting my car. As i was learned - the bigger the battery the better. You should buy batteries with measuring tape and not by capacity - buy the largest size that can fit in the car - and that is usually the 100Ah one.:cool:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Find a friend with a Costco card and get a Bosch SilverTop from there.
I'm reliably informed that Bosch is the same company as Varta so their 'silver' products should be exactly the same.

What brie says about 100aH makes a lot of sense.

Avocet - I'll look again and see if I can find a CCA number; I definitely recall seeing sthg like that on the OEM battery (which is an 'Alfa' branded Exide). Either on the label or embossed onto the casing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Paul,

I went through the same rigmarole recently. Lot's of places tried telling me 75 aH was fine for my car. This didn't seem right as Alfa saw good to put a 100 aH there in the first place.

Given that the one which came with the car did seven years' use, often left parked up and unused for weeks at a time, I felt it was worth pushing for the 100 aH jobbie. I eventually ordered one from Ramponi. Can't remember the price but it was the guts of a hundred quid.

Once a battery over three years old has been flattened you have to accept replacing it.

cheers

M

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
I agree with the 100ah as per my earlier posts BUT a 96AH renault with a higher CCA is the full bhoona.

After doing the aircon fan etc I will always fit a biggie.Ok the wee ones will do the job but for how long.

Pomeo

·
Registered
674 Posts
Was at a hand car wash the other day and when the chamois boy told me to inch forwards twice in two minutes the battery failed to start the car.
Ha, it must be the time of year. I had a similar story with the bike yesterday. Haven't used it since before Easter so I really wasn't expecting it to start. It was very sluggish but the fuel injection on Ducatis seems to be well sorted because even though the crank reluctantly turned only a couple of times it was enough to burst into life. Ran it for a few minutes then had to pop back upstairs to get something. Got back down and: nothing. Not even a single 'chug', just the sound of the starter button being pushed by my thumb. Rang the chap I was supposed to be meeting to cancel, then decided to try it one last time before digging out the charger and bang, off she went like a good 'un.

No air-conditioning to worry about :)

I've really abused that battery over the years. Must treat the bike to a new one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just bought a Numax 100aH 850A CCA from Tayna which has 20 more A's on the CCA than the Bosch/Varta. Including delivery it was £72 or sthg.

Of course, that doesn't dispose of the old one but I think the OEM beast still has a bit of life in it so will use it on the deck connected to a solar trickle charger as an occasional 12V laptop/lamp power source.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes, the 166 replacement battery should be 100ah...dont know why?? 88ah should be enough..
Just replaced mine with a 100ah ...should be a sealed battery and not the fill up job...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's interesting that all the online ready reckoner guides (where you punch in your make, model etc) suggest a much weaker battery than the 100aH. I wonder if that's something they do across the board, just so as not to appear more expensive than their competitors to the unaware casual battery buyer?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,123 Posts
Just to add to the debate, the 1 edition car manual that was with my car 2000 reg states the battery as 70ah for all models, however the supplement which is headed 'this annex supercedes data within the owners manual) dated 1999 states 100ah across all models.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I would have thought a car with all the gizmos would need a big battery, and 70Ah or so does not sound enough.

No point getting a weedy one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts