Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry, bit of a basic question from a relative newbie.

I want to top up the oil in my 156 gta,

do you guys prefer the selenia 20k in the red tin,

or the selenia 10w60 racing oil in the black tin?

Any general tips on topping up coolant level? I noticed the level was under the minimum in the reservoir,

cheers

domski

C

·
0 Posts
selenia racing is recommended, however I tend to favour a good fully synthetic.

See Squadrone's post about coolant useage. I think its normal, as in its settled at that level unless the radiator needs to be replaced.

There are two types of coolant - long life which is usually pink and the normal stuff which is usually blue. You shouldn't mix them.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Yep, 10W60 is spec'd for the 3.2V6, not 10W40.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys,

will top up with the 10w60 i think

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The last 2 services our GT has had has been courtesy of Autolusso. Other than doing a brilliant job (generally and with the Q2 and the PF pads), we've been using Ned's recommended Valvoline 10/60 racing oil. As a result, oil consumption is virtually nil when compared Selenia Racing 10/60. Try it:cool:

G

·
0 Posts
That's odd. Ned told me he didn't do the Valvoline 10/60 and that he's using 10w40 Valvoline stuff for everything. Ned correct me if I've gone mad again......

A couple of other people have also said 10w40 is better for the 3.2 unless you're doing track work.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I use what it says in the manual, Selina but I carnt remember the viscosity but its the reccomended stuff. She used to be on fully synthetic (until my last service) and she used to drink oil, about a litre and a half every two weeks! :eek: Seeing as it was £40 a tub of 4 litres it was not cheap!

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's odd. Ned told me he didn't do the Valvoline 10/60 and that he's using 10w40 Valvoline stuff for everything. Ned correct me if I've gone mad again......

A couple of other people have also said 10w40 is better for the 3.2 unless you're doing track work.
I have 10w40 in mine, JP at Alfaworkshop said this is what they use (well it's what they put in at the service) and in a smiliar context said the 10w60 is really for track.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts

We do generally use the 10/40 unless someone specifies that they want the 10/60 (and are happy to pay the extra) and if they do I recommend the Valvoline because in my opinion it is better than the Selenia.

If the car is being used for hard driving or track work I would recommend the 10/60.

Ned

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I reckon the 10/60 is worth every extra penny in terms of protection and useage. These cars are hot and run hot despite the two sizeable fans as there's not a lot of room in the engine bay:eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The owners manual says on page 278 to use selenia racing 10w60,

so I ordered some from shop4parts.

Is Selenia available in any shops? or just alfa dealers and mail order?

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
The owners manual says on page 278 to use selenia racing 10w60,

so I ordered some from shop4parts.

Is Selenia available in any shops? or just alfa dealers and mail order?
I have never seen it in Halfords or alike. Think I did see it once in an independant car shop ages ago but carnt remember where :confused: I got mine from Jamie Porter when I had my last service ;)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
You can get the two Castrol 10W60 oils mail order direct from Castrol or via Halfords (mail order, not in many shops).
(other suppliers are available)

Unlikely to see Selenia in many normal car parts shops.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
What downside can there be from using 10/60 over 10/40, apart from cost :confused:
Downside of using 10W60 ? :confused:

None, it is the correct oil for the 3.2V6 engine.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I agree with the comments on the 10W60. I have been using the Castrol Edge oil for years on both my V6 156's with great results.

G

·
0 Posts
I reckon the 10/60 is worth every extra penny in terms of protection and useage. These cars are hot and run hot despite the two sizeable fans as there's not a lot of room in the engine bay:eek:
There's some confusion here and Oilman would be the best to explain.

But, basically.

Our V6's do not run hot enough normally to require 10/60 oil.

The 10/40 gives better protection from cold, when the damage actually takes place.

Hence the logic.

Oilman I'm sure worked out that the ONLY place a GTA would need 10/60 is with constant track use and a 10/40 would be better for the engine by preventing more cold wear.

This a fairly commonly held view.

Personally I'm tempted by 10w40.

But still not quite sure.

Where's Oilman when you need him.:confused:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
...Our V6's do not run hot enough normally to require 10/60 oil.

The 10/40 gives better protection from cold, when the damage actually takes place.
Both a 10W60 and a 10W40 have the same viscosity when cold.

The engine is fitted with a proper oil cooler, so temperature is obviously an issue.

Alfa would not have spec'd 10W60 if 10W40 would have done.

N

·
0 Posts
Given that there is a air to oil cooler present i would say that the 10w60 is a little bit of an overkill. I think the Valvoline is a better oil overall but the selenia might have better antifriction properties.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts