Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my original scuttle panel had been repaired a long way back by a po... It had started to rust badly on the repair section, so I was on the look out for a rust free RHD spider scuttle panel. Not many about! I found one which looked nice, no repairs and no rust.. so I thought... Its back to bare metal and this is what I have found...

Can any one recommend a good product to kill the rust? I don't want to remove any more of the metal. I will give it a coat of etch primer one the metal has been treated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I've never found anything that works on a permanent basis Rod - despite all their claims - you could get it bead blasted and fill the holes while they are still clean but is that bodging? - there must be something that works?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are quite a few products that claim to kill the rust and for it never to return.. I was just looking for some recommendations.... The metal on the scuttle panel is quite thin so I don't want to risk making bigger holes! These RHD scuttle panels are so hard to find in total rust free condition...

I've never found anything that works on a permanent basis Rod - despite all their claims - you could get it bead blasted and fill the holes while they are still clean but is that bodging? - there must be something that works?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. I will take a look at those products... The rust buster website is quite good...:thumbup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just made some up in a bucket and dropped in the (non car related) rusty parts. The advantage of it being a liquid bath is that you can submerge the part and be sure that all the rust is removed. The disadvantage is it's wasteful unless you keep the made up solution somewhere for future use.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at the gel as i need the larger parts treated in smaller places..

I just made some up in a bucket and dropped in the (non car related) rusty parts. The advantage of it being a liquid bath is that you can submerge the part and be sure that all the rust is removed. The disadvantage is it's wasteful unless you keep the made up solution somewhere for future use.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
So it wouldn't be much use as a "paint on" cure?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hi Simon... I spotted this stuff the other day.... Have you used it on past repairs and it still holds up?
Yes I've been using it for a few years, bought it from the NEC Classic Car show.

I wouldn't risk using it on actual rust though, I always grind back to good metal, treat the bare metal then paint or fill and paint.

Reactions: roony
1 - 16 of 16 Posts