Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tempted by a Barchetta for a change. Am I barching to think about getting one ?

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
A Fiat? Not at all, i have thought about one for a while. Pity they are LHD only and insurance is higher than anticipated

Nice little cars

·
Registered
33,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I should check the insurance , but would it qualify as a classic if its 1996 ?

C

·
0 Posts
I dallied with getting one, but they're left hookers, so I left em alone.

·
Registered
33,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lived with lhd for years after Lancia stopped doing right hand drivers , but not soft tops with the restricted visibility.

·
Registered
37,368 Posts
I have always liked the look of them and have been tempted myself.

Only the LHD put me off really.

The FWD isn't ideal either for a sporty car, but I could have lived with it due to the way it looks. :cool:

·
Registered
33,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had an RHD Dedra and an lhd Delta HPE at the same time and no problems except the time my wife mistakenly got into one of them on the wrong side and had to pretend she had meant to check out the glovebox contents.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i've always fancied one of these, they share a lot of components with the fiat punto, so i always wanted to put my gt turbo engine in one.

There are a fair few RHD conversions knocking about.

·
Registered
37,368 Posts
I have a buyers guide somewhere in an Auto Italia magazine, and it said that the RHD conversion is pretty difficult to do.

There is a cast beam behing the dash that needs to be extensively modified to get the steering column and pedals to fit.

They also suffer from rust in the floorpan like on a punto, only worse as the roof often leaks and allows water under the carpet.

The good news is that many of them will be summer only toys and therefore shouldn't have this problem...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a buyers guide somewhere in an Auto Italia magazine, and it said that the RHD conversion is pretty difficult to do.
I wouldn't bother. I'm right-handed, so prefer changing gear with my right hand anyway. I much prefer LHD motors. Especially ones originally conceived for the LHD market: the mechanical connection to the brake cylinder is usually more direct and the clutch-rest provision is always better.

Go LHD :)

·
Registered
37,368 Posts
I wouldn't bother. I'm right-handed, so prefer changing gear with my right hand anyway. I much prefer LHD motors. Especially ones originally conceived for the LHD market: the mechanical connection to the brake cylinder is usually more direct and the clutch-rest provision is always better.

Go LHD :)
I can see the benefits because I an right handed also, but a LHD is a PITA when it comes to overtaking.

G

·
0 Posts
A Barchetta in gun metal pearl with ox blood diamond style padded leather interior...mmmmm loverly;):D
One of my favourite 2 seaters.
They always look great on the road.
A hard top for the three not -so -good seasons is a handy investment if you can store it in a garage the summer though.
I honestly don't understand why some people have difficulty with left hookers, the transition between rhd and lhd has never been an issue for me. Neither has been overtaking...

If done correctly and staying well back for maximum forward vision, selecting the right gear and building speed so by the time you are passing you spend less time on the opposite side of the road, then there isn't really an issue.
But so many drivers do tend to like to drive up each other's chuff these days and automatically impede their forward vision then wonder why it takes so long to pass and it's always risky. So I can sort of understand why some people don't like lhd's... It takes a change in driving habits to get the best out of them;)
Get yourself on an advanced defensive driving course, buy the Barchetta and enjoy its peppy little 1.8 ;)
Bring back Tapatalk !!!

M

·
0 Posts
They make me happy when I see them and not many cars do that for me. Reason enough to buy one if they do the same to you.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Next door has a lovely yellow one. I think he's planning on selling it in Europe as he can get a better price. Good looking car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A Fiat? Not at all, i have thought about one for a while. Pity they are LHD only and insurance is higher than anticipated

Nice little cars
Ive got one, just been using it as daily driver while i waited for new car for 5-6 weeks and LHD is no problem at all, neither is swapping from left to right and auto to manual, just another machine that you get used to operating very quickly.

Surprisingly cheap to insure too, its with flux and around £150 a year on a classic policy limited mileage (quoted £300 every renewal until you go on go compare though:tut:)

Just check for rust if you go looking at any. Mine is about finished now and will be an ebay project for someone at the end of this summer:( Been a great car though, 5 years ownership and not a penny spent on it except petrol. A lot i look at are suffering now, mainly floorpans around the mid door point and up inside the wheel arches which is fairly terminal as it means the car will be wet behind the seats area.

If you want a winter project...................

1 - 20 of 26 Posts