Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
I heard about this on the radio. Its not good news, especially if you are shareholder in someone like Ferrari, porsche, etc...

I think its the latest in a long line of ideas to persecute the motorist. Even a 2 litre petrol car would struggle to get 35mpg most of the time.

H

·
0 Posts
Should the govt. ban in-efficient cars like a 3.2 Alfa?

LINK
I hate the thought of banning anything, but at the same time, think people DO need to think carefully about their choice of car.

I was watching a programme about the EV1 and weighing up the pros and cons, reckon that an electric car like that (0-60 in 8 seconds, 130mph restricted top speed) would have been ideal, the sort of car i'd buy.

If you give people all the available options, more often than not you can expect them to buy the one that suits them most, and if those options included decent performing, attractive electric/fuel cell cars (assuming the refueling/charging infrastructure was in place, of course) then I reckon most people would buy one over a gas guzzling petrol model.

All talk of 'banning' just makes it sound like a totalitarian state.

Which is kinda right, I guess :mad:

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
It would be fairer to ration petrol, then you can either do massive miles in an economic car or if you do less miles you can do it in whatever car you want.

Some people drive Ferrari's, but only do 3,000 miles a year. This is far better for the environment than doing 60,000 miles a year in a Passat 1.9 TDi.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
It's coming, as sure as eggs is eggs, or as God made little apples. We will all be reduced to driving 'puddle jumpers or' 'tiddly pops'. The bigs uns' will be the perogative of the super rich only eventually, just for show, but not to go, only on their private estate roads.!:(: Snoots will be fine.:D

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
It's fair to say I'd like to knock 30yrs off my life and go through the teenage years again BUT i think my teenage sons may be subjected to an unpresidented amount of clampdowns in life and not necessarily motoring ones at that.

Gladly I'm on fast track to the big 40 and I reckon I'll have managed to be a petrolhead 'all' my life by the time i pop my clocks which is just fine by me.

Son: 'Dad can i borrow your 3.2 ltr Brera for the weekend'

Dad: No Son, you know your not in the right band of the population to be able to appreciate my car, go enjoy your pumped up electropoptart convertable, oh and remember the authentic mp3 of a v6, you'll need it or you'll be listening to a soft whiring breeze everytime you have a need to pass 50mph'

Son: Yes Dad

:tut:

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
No - how would the goverment then raise the required revenue.

Dont forget if you drive a 3.2 and do 18MPG you are paying the goverment a small fortune - if everybody drove 1.0 cars then petrol would be£2.00 a litre to raise the required funds to pay for muslims to have 4 wives and claim for them off the state.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't mind this pumped up electropoptart:

Tesla Motors

Not only saving the environment but doing it faster than most other road cars hehe

But until it comes to the UK ill carry on driving my Co2 making machine.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
I wouldn't mind this pumped up electropoptart:

Tesla Motors

Not only saving the environment but doing it faster than most other road cars hehe

But until it comes to the UK ill carry on driving my Co2 making machine.
All well and good an electric powered car thats looks like an Elise - estimated costs of £100k at present - think I would stick to an Elise, can afford a fair amount of fuel with the £70k saving.

·
Registered
37,148 Posts

Dont forget if you drive a 3.2 and do 18MPG you are paying the goverment a small fortune - if everybody drove 1.0 cars then petrol would be£2.00 a litre to raise the required funds to pay for muslims to have 4 wives and claim for them off the state.
I have to agree with some of this... If we all drove efficient cars the government would loose revenue and the oil companies would loose profits. Therfore the government would have to raise taxes, and the oil companies would raise prices and we would still end up paying the same but we would be driving boring efficient cars.

Its just the latest in a string of ideas to cut down peoples liberty.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The price in currently in dollars so $100k at the minute is £50k or there abouts.
Apparently in a few years we will see a 4 door saloon for £30k and a small 4 door saloon for £15k.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
The price in currently in dollars so $100k at the minute is £50k or there abouts.
Apparently in a few years we will see a 4 door saloon for £30k and a small 4 door saloon for £15k.

$100k - yes but then you have to factor in all of the vat etc that will be added by our goverment and I would not expect to see much change from £75k.

·
Registered
37,520 Posts
Why do we not just ban inefficient cars like American ones. Problem solved. THEY are the ones driving pick-up trucks that do 15mpg and refusing to set specific emissions targets.

Swine!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Until the Chinese and the Americans start taking the green issue seriously the small amount the UK is doing is not going to save the world!

This current government keep telling us that we need to cut emmisions and their answer always seems to be to raise taxes and restrict what we can/can't do. All this is a cost to the bog standard tax paying citizens like you and I whilst their revenue continues to go up. Enough is enough!

·
Registered
16,125 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

What he said. Government couldnt afford the lost revenue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is such a non-starter; a pathetic attempt to grab some headlines.
People have already mentioned the tax angle, but what about how these measurements of MPG are taken? We live in some very congested cities, and even the most frugal of cars will see their MPG fall to below this in stop-start (aka 'real life' traffic). If the government want to implement these proposals they must provide a joined-up integrated travel policy featuring buses, trains, cycle lanes, extra lane building plans, lanes for cars with more then 1 occupant etc etc etc. Putting an arbitrary limit of 35mpg is useless and will not fix the underlying problem - that this government has no transport policy beyond quick headline grabbing nonsense. The Sir double-barrelled idiot who came up with this does not live in the real world.
Absolutely pathetic.
:mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts