Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi guys,

Just attempted to separate the wishbone ball joint on the upper offside front suspension, thing won't budge one mm. I have been using a 'fork'type splitter- to no avail :cry:. I have applied plus-gas and still no give, anyone got any ideas please?

Joanne

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I normally use the "scissor-type" splitter - get plenty of pressure on and then give a hefty crack with a lump hammer.......

M

·
0 Posts
Take nut off bolt... then belt the cast metal in front of taper off ball joint....

Belt it like you mean it an with enough frustration vented you should be able to have it drop apart in 5-10 hits...

Serious welly and jobs a goodun :)

M

·
0 Posts
just go and belt it like you were dishing out death sentence to a paedophile with your hammer... telling you it'll drop apart ;)

M

·
0 Posts
No hit the cast bit the taper/bolt goes through (top of banana)..., and I mean belt the crap out of it ;)

Did mine then 3 in a scrap yard recently and quickest way is belt the cast it, did the 3 in scrap yard in under 20seconds each without using a joint splitter :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No hit the cast bit the taper/bolt goes through (top of banana)..., and I mean belt the crap out of it ;)

Did mine then 3 in a scrap yard recently and quickest way is belt the cast it, did the 3 in scrap yard in under 20seconds each without using a joint splitter :)
yup thats how i do it
it also help if u have a long bar so someone can lever the wishbone too...

it needs to be a big lump hammer not one you would bang nails in.....it needs the weight to shock the parts apart.....remember your hitting the part side on where the pin of the ball joint passes through

M

·
0 Posts
I do it in 20 seconds with a claw hammer (as nothing else to hand) but you really gotta swing and get mental with it, agree a heavy hammer helps a lot as with a light one the swing you have to take risks hitting car or something.

John

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I do it in 20 seconds with a claw hammer (as nothing else to hand) but you really gotta swing and get mental with it, agree a heavy hammer helps a lot as with a light one the swing you have to take risks hitting car or something.

John
thats why i use a heavy one.......short sharp swings...last one i did was a bugger.........took ages, i normaly get lad to help with a pry bar but he was out

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hacksawed through mine and ejected the bit stuck in the hub arm using a 3 legged puller.

Went like a rocket when it came out!

Cheer james

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You don't need to belt quite so hard and ordinary claw hammer will suffice if you use two hammers. Swing both together one striking each side of the casting that the taper sits in at the same time. 3 - 4 blows usually does it.

If there is room that is the trick I use.

If there isn't room then I use a scissor splitter, if that gets really tight without separating the joint then a single strike with a harmer with the splitter still in place is always enough.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr Mac: Took your advice and dug out a 3 lb lump hammer and after around a minute of belting it- it came free.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Joanne x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts