Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to add a thread to share my experience of the GTV and tyres!

This is my first gtv and after cars like the mgf,old beetles and old mg's, i really didnt think that tyres played such a big part in handling and performance!

Anyway,i have recently posted a couple of threads about a grinding noise and vibration in 5th gear! It happened on lift off and when going around corners,but only in 5th,i thought it couldnt be tyres as it doesnt happen in other gears and thought it was most likelly to be driveshaft or the 5th gear worn out!

Well i thought id take her for a run today up to Faro...to get there you go on normal bumpy roads and then the pay motorway...As normal,got into 5th and she started vibrating and grinding! BUT when I got onto the motorway the problem magically disapered!! I really thrashed her to see if it was just a "come & go" problem but nothing...so, i stopped at services to check the tyre pressure and luckilly i had my steering wheel turned at almost full lock,as i caught a glimse of the inner tyre wall of both front tyres....both were down to the thread! very very worn!

I whent to the local garage and had 2new tyres fitted and all grinding and vibration is gone!! :eek: QUite surprised it was the tyres as the MOT was done in December and all suspension has been checked and is working fine!

So....my advice is,if you have any weird noises,grinding,vibration,then check the tyres,even if it sounds like the noise is not tyre related!!!

Thanks to all who helped in the previous thread about this problem! :thumbs: With people like you guys on this forum, Alfa-itis will be a thing of the past!! :lol:

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
Have you have the tracking checked?

std Front setting is 2mm toe-out (+/- 0.5mm), but like everything I'd be tempted to set the front to 0mm toe-out.

Rear is 3mm Toe-in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Andrew and Max here at Alfaholics both ran 3 litre V6s (Max has since gone over to the Dark Side and traded his for an M5) and suffered the same tyre wear.

Despite checking and adjusting the tracking over and over it appears to be a feature of these cars that they destroy the inner 2cm or so of the front tyres before the rest.

·
Registered
30,198 Posts
Andrew and Max here at Alfaholics both ran 3 litre V6s (Max has since gone over to the Dark Side and traded his for an M5) and suffered the same tyre wear.

Despite checking and adjusting the tracking over and over it appears to be a feature of these cars that they destroy the inner 2cm or so of the front tyres before the rest.
I know they know their stuff and are both keen track drivers, but what settings were they using?

The std 2mm toe-out on the front will give very sharp turn-in, but will always scrub through the inner edges on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts