Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that when cam belt goes its time to kiss engine goodbye, but what if the balance belt has snapped and not cam belt??
what damage does this do and is it worth fixing???

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
the main problem is if it gets caught in the cambelt, so fish it out if it is still there.

it is OK to drive without, there may be a little more harshness and vibration, but not much, the racers remove them anyway as NVH control is not high on their agenda. Nothing will break or not be working if its not there.

When was the cambelt last done, maybe it's overdue...just get it done when the cambelt is due.

HTH

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I believe there are people who run there cars without balance belts.......... Something to do with less resistance, ergo a bit more power..........

I suppose it's possible the balance belt snapping and maybe flapping about a bit might have caught up with the cambelt, and caused some daqmage to that or a pulley or somesuch...........

But I'm no expert and I'm sure a more technical and educated opinion will be forthcoming.......... Lucky it wasn't your cambelyt mate.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the balance belt is not needed unless you get bad vibrations without it, none of the other twin sprk engines use one just the 2 litre, you may see a slight gain in responsiveness/power without it too which is nice

as said above, do check that it isnt interfering with the cambelt if it is still in there

M

·
0 Posts
It is needed in the 166 and the spider/gtv due to noises in the cabin but it is rare for it to snap but is common for it to shed teeth which then go into the cambelt and then the fun begins...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts