Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this is my first posting, so hopefully things will go smoothly!

I've owned a 2 litre GTV for a year and a half now, and, touch wood, it's run fine- up until about 3 weeks ago.

The problem is that when I put the car into gear, it will rev fine, up until 4000, then it gets really sluggish.......this happens in gears 1through to 5!
Occassionally it'll splutter a bit and the revs return back to normal, only for a few seconds though!?

I've revved it up in neutral and it's fine!

I know bits and bobs about cars, and generally do my own servicing etc, but I'm not sure how to resolve this problem!!

Can anyone help or advise me on what to do or what the problem may be??

J

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
SOunds like the variator to me, does it sound a bit like a diesel on start-up. The other usual suspect is the air flow metre :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it doesn't sound like a diesel to be fair!

So....if it is one of the problems that you've mentioned- what's the best remedy?
Will it be hard to fix, or is it pretty straight forward, as I've never dealt with either of the problems before?!

Thanks for the reply as well.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well, it depends how confident you are with the spanners really ;)

The AFM is more or less straight forward (take old on off, put new one on), but the variator is a bit more complex. Of course, the thing is it might not actually be these things...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd want to be confident of the problem before letting rip with the wallet. I think this is a case where the dreaded error code reader could help, but I'd start with a good hunt around the engine bay for poorly conducting plugs and sockets. You won't see them of course, it's a case of unplugging them one by one and applying a bit of Vaseline/WD40/Whatever. Sometimes worth plugging/unplugging a number of times to clean the contacts first.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Sounds very like the MAF/AFM to me.
When mine went it just wouldn't pull beyond 5000rpm at all and made no progress with full throttle.
It drove sort of ok on partial throttle.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EXACT same symptoms as mine. Was the MAF. Easiest way to tell is to disconnect it and take it for a run.

To do this:

Locate Air Filter housing.

Immediately above it is a cylindrical device with a multi plug attached.

Disconnect multi plug.

Take car for a drive.

You might get a lumpy idle and a bit of hesitancy when pulling away but the problem you describe above 5000rpm should disappear. (you may or may not get an EOBD light on the dash, just ignore it if you do).

If it is MAF/AFM its a 20min job to replace and all you need is a screwdriver and a spanner.

Dead easy :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
typical afm symtoms. It very easy to replace, you might want to buy some jubilee clips so you can get the new one secure. (the alfa clips can be hard to close again once opened)

Cheapest I could find are on www.alfaworkshop.co.uk

Dont buy the ones on ebay, people had trouble with them.

While you are at it, check that your airbox is tight and secure. Sometimes the screws hold the top on rust and air can get, bypassing the filter, which is bad

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Try Alternative Autos in Huddersfield: 01484 865086

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I thought hte variator varied the timing on the valves, so if its not working properly it could effect top end performance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Morning!
Thanks for all the input yesterday!
I'll have a look at the AFM/MAF on saturday, and have a go at what everyone has suggested and I'll let you know if I resolved the problem or not!
Fingers crossed it'll get sorted.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've just changed a variator on a 1.6 which rattled badly on start-up. I'd say the new one has improved mid-range rather than top-end. I wasn't sure if it would change anything beforehand, assuming that once the oil pressure hit it, it might still be working, like a hydraulic tappet. Those who've had MAF problems seem pretty certain, other threads cover the subject quite extensively too.
Cheers and happy spannering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts