Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I look for?

I'm getting around 30 MPG. I've checked this manually twice, combination motorway/A roads, and short town runs.

It's had a new MAF.

Seems to be OK temp wise - this was checked with diagnostic software ( Examiner ).

cheers
all

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I think there have been a few threads about this being normal, albeit dreadful, economy for the 2.4D. :( Great noise, quite powerful etc but a bit of a drinker.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...I did a quick search, and feedback seem to be 35 to 45 MPG.

I'm not driving around like a boy racer:rolleyes:

K

·
0 Posts
my old 2.4JTD (the 136 bhp one) wasn't quite so bad, but i could NEVER get above 39mpg under everyday conditions (80% country roads, 20% town driving) and that was driving carefully. on a motorway/main road type run with no town mileage it went up to around 43mpg. could never beat that how hard i tried. think the newer 150bhp ones were a bit better? up to the 45 mark? bit disapointing really, especially with the much higher price of diesel now it is really only around 35mpg pound for pound compared to petrol, not much better cost wise than the ts?
as mine was just for getting to work and back i sold it (still miss it though :( ) and got a punto 1.9 JTD which manages 53mpg for the exact same journeys as the 156 did 39mpg. plus it will do over 60mpg on a run :cool:

not an alfa though, but does the job i want it for
got my alfasud to keep the faith :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2.4jtd does a minimum of 40mpg and thats absolutley ragging the living c**p out of it! My advice is buy a chip for for about a hundred quid. Go onto ebay and look for Abrieb Chiptuning you get at least 10% better mpg but, you will have to clean far more flies off the front because the power difference is quite simply dramatic Ive had my chip for 2 years now and i have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I get 39mpg with 'spirited' driving. I always work out my consumption at the pumps - don't rely on a trip computer.

I don't know how 'car minded' you are so I begin with some basics.

Are your tyres inflated - and aligned correctly
Are you carrying loads of crap around in the boot
Are you using supermrket diesel
Is you handbrake sticking slightly
Are your brake pads rubbing slightly

easy but common causes.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
My 2.4jtd does a minimum of 40mpg and thats absolutely ragging the living c**p out of it! My advice is buy a chip for for about a hundred quid. Go onto ebay and look for Abrieb Chiptuning you get at least 10% better mpg but, you will have to clean far more flies off the front because the power difference is quite simply dramatic Ive had my chip for 2 years now and i have never had a problem with it.
Regarding your chip , how does it fit into the cars ecu, The sight says its needs no plugging in , its over wire or something is that wirelessly or what , do you know?
Its sounds a bit strange as the language is a lot to interpret.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Regarding your chip , how does it fit into the cars ecu, The sight says its needs no plugging in , its over wire or something is that wirelessly or what , do you know?
Its sounds a bit strange as the language is a lot to interpret.
I'm interested also, sounds too good to be true!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2.4JTD (136bhp standard) does 42mpg average every fill. Once did a 500 mile round trip and got 47mpg. Temp gage is at about 70 but at moment find it hard to stay with 100bhp passat. New MFU on the way. 80% country and 20% town driving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry its took so long to get back
chip takes 2 minutes to fit a stoned up baboon could do it.

First Take the plastic cover off
you are then looking for the common rail this is a long alloy pipe with 1 pipe connection in and 5 out (the five pipes feed the injectors).
Depending on the model the flow monitor connection will be somewhere on the alloy tube it could be blue,orange or black you need to unplug it and plug the chip in series with it.
Its as simple as that.
My chip takes around 3 minutes to work after the engine has started please bear this in mind.
When it does kick in you'll know!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Can you show me the site specific to where you bought it please, I did find on ebay but the write up was confusing to decipher, but maybe thats the one you spoke about?

Also do you know of anyone else that uses this product/method of tuning?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My 2.4JTD (136bhp standard) does 42mpg average every fill. Once did a 500 mile round trip and got 47mpg. Temp gage is at about 70 but at moment find it hard to stay with 100bhp passat. New MFU on the way. 80% country and 20% town driving.
... and you need a new stat ...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris - did you check you temp on Examiner before changing your stat - my gauge was reading 20% under actual temp

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Chris - did you check you temp on Examiner before changing your stat - my gauge was reading 20% under actual temp
I didn't but after changing my stat I get about 90deg ... one thing you should consider is that there are 2 different sensors used for the gauge and that reported by the ECU and that these sensors are in different parts of the engine and as such I would expect there to be a temperature difference between them (not a huge difference though as the water flows pretty much directly from the stat to the ignition unit where the ECU sensor is located...) ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts