Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you could help. I have a 2003 147. For the last 6 months there has been a really bad, loud knocking noise from both sides of the front suspension anytime i go over a manhole cover or a speed bump or any bumps in the road. I had 2 mechanics take a look and pull and drag all the links but neither of them found anything wrong. Has any of you guys had a similar problem as its driving me nuts and i just want to get it fixed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
LOL, it will be your antiroll bar :), usually i would say i have on in stock but sears would be closer to you :lol:

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Start with the drop links ... they are hard to detect wear, but as they are the cheapest part, they are a good start.

To test if the drop links or a/r bar is the problem, you can disconnect one end of each drop link, tie the bar and links up so they don't dangle, and take the car for a gentle drive on a surface where the clonking occurs.

If it is the a/r bar related, the knocking will disappear like this as it isn't under any stress or moving. If with new droplinks the knocking comes back, suspect the a/r bar. Expensive to replace as the subframe has to be dropped, and the a/r bar and bushes are sold as one piece. Athough SEARs sells replacement bushes now, and has a technique to replace them without dropping the subframe.

If the knock remains with the a/r bar out of action, it is probably an upper or lower arm, or the shock/strut. It could also be something else loose or worn: exhaust, engine or gearbox mount, etc. Another option is the steering rack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi had a simler noise turned out to be a bolt that was connected to the gearbox and engine mounts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
it could be the front anti roll bar.

if oyu disconnect the drop links & secure them so as they don't make noise, then go for a drive. if the knocking stops then the arb bushes are worn.

I can supply you with new poly bushes &/or replacement 'anti-sway collars [ the old colalrs are fitted beside the bush & often crack & then allow the arb to slide form side to side wearing out the bushes.

or you can have a new arb fitted

if you need bushes &/or collars see the link in my siggy.

PM me if you want me to fit them also, i'll do you a deal

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
super sears will be along shortly...........
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If the ARB bushes are knocking this badly, the whole ARB should be replaced, not just the bushes, the corrosion on the rod will just chew up the new bushes. Short term bodge or long term fix, I would spend more knowing that they problem will be cured and not return in 6 months.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I'm not worthy that St.Smaky has responed ...all say 'Hail Smaky' :cheese:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Sorry Pat, have I offended you? I just don't think that the kit you sell is enough in this case, in fact it rarely would be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers lads, the thing is is that the mechanic had it up on the ramp and i watched him for half an hour pry, pull and jimmy every bushing on both sides of the car and nothing was budging. He drove the car and said that there was definately something wrong but was damned if he could find it. I dont want to go to the main dealer cos 1 they're useless and they'l charge me an arm and a leg just to have a look.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Niall, nice chatting with you.

As you know with weight on the wheels its hard to see movement.

Get your mechanic to disconnect the TWO drop links & then tie then & the arb so as they don't knock when you go for atest drive .... a CAREFULLY test drive over rough ground.

If the knocking stops either the bushes or the drop link ball joints are worn.

if the knock persist then either the upper or lower wishbones [ either side, so 1 or upto all 4 ] need replacing.

if you need bushes &/or collars let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my 156 (52) i get a knocking noise from the front NS when i go over bumps / manhole covers, just had everything checked at garage and has just passed MOT. Im just going to check the the rubber on top of the coil as all else seems ok.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you could help. I have a 2003 147. For the last 6 months there has been a really bad, loud knocking noise from both sides of the front suspension anytime i go over a manhole cover or a speed bump or any bumps in the road. I had 2 mechanics take a look and pull and drag all the links but neither of them found anything wrong. Has any of you guys had a similar problem as its driving me nuts and i just want to get it fixed.
Thanks!
have the ARB bushes checked that's what it was on my 156

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Start with the drop links ... they are hard to detect wear, but as they are the cheapest part, they are a good start.

To test if the drop links or a/r bar is the problem, you can disconnect one end of each drop link, tie the bar and links up so they don't dangle, and take the car for a gentle drive on a surface where the clonking occurs.

If it is the a/r bar related, the knocking will disappear like this as it isn't under any stress or moving. If with new droplinks the knocking comes back, suspect the a/r bar. Expensive to replace as the subframe has to be dropped, and the a/r bar and bushes are sold as one piece. Athough SEARs sells replacement bushes now, and has a technique to replace them without dropping the subframe.

If the knock remains with the a/r bar out of action, it is probably an upper or lower arm, or the shock/strut. It could also be something else loose or worn: exhaust, engine or gearbox mount, etc. Another option is the steering rack.
not that expensive, on my 156 it cost me £300 to have the bushes replaced, but that also included having a wishbone changed too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks!
I know it’s not always the case but I had a sound that sounded like bad suspension went I went over pot hole or speed humps etc in my 156 and it turned out to be the undertray had dropped a bit. Removed it and never heard the noise again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts